Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted

X1 Change Wall Color for One Wall?

Hello all,

No matter what I do: break wall and change wall type. I still can't get one wall of a room a different color than the rest of the room.

After changing wall type I use the material definition or eye dropper and it won't change just the color of that wall?

How do I get one wall of a room a different color?

Seems like a glitch to me.

This is a pure X1 plan.

Zowie,

Select a wall and open it. Go to the wall covering tab. There you can make the interior wall what ever you want. Size the wallcover to whatever you want even to cover the entire wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colored wall.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	16570  
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Zowie

Double click on the wall in plan view and the "Wall Specification" Dbx will open up. Go to the "Wall Covering" Tab (bottom row of tabs, last one on the right and add a wall covering ....click the "Add New" button (either side of wall...or both sides of the wall can be changed, just check the Interior or/and Exterior tab)...

You can make the wall covering any material/color you would like and any height on the wall (1", like just a band of color/material) or the whole wall (which it sounds like you are wanting to do). Just play with the Top to Ceiling/Width/Floor to Bottom measurements.

Jay

or what Tommy said

Jay

Cool When I want to Make Bands of Color, But What Happened to Simple....

....The simple ability to change the color of one wall? This is a cool tool for stripes--and thanks for pointing that out, but this is excessive for wanting to paint one whole wall a different color.

Dumb things about this for painting a whole wall:
    1.Do I actually have to go back and find the exact ceiling ht to color the whole wall, or can I just use a high number?

2.From this wall covering mode, I can't use the dropper tool

3.Seems like a radio button that said, Paint Entire Wall would be a bit more convenient, but it's still not letting me use the dropper tool.

Interesting, but is this really what we need to do to paint a wall a different color? X1 2steps forward 1.75 steps backward.

Thanks very much,
    Barry

1. Just make floor to bottom 0 and use a high number for width and apply any material.
    2. You can now use the dropper in 3d.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Sorry, I'm talking about changing color along one wall...

I agree making colored stripes in chief is actually very convenient.

But I was talking about changing color along one wall. I have a living room that shares a wall with a dining room next to it and I want to change the one wall of the dining room without changing the others.

I'm finding in X1 it's harder to do than in V10 which didn't work that well to begin with.

X1 wants to paint the whole room or the whole wall no matter what I do. Even if I define part of that wall under a different name and in a few instances, even if I define a different material in wall definitions?

Besides, changing wall definitions also changes materials lists, it's a bad work-around to what should be an easy task.

Chief needs to define color as color or wall covering, Not Material. We should be able to break a wall and change the color of that part of the wall without changing the wall material definition. This is embarrassing when sitting with clients. Changing color is cumbersome and time consuming.

If you don't think it is, try changing part of a room color and if you're successful, which occasionally happens, try changing that color and moving the lines a couple of times because the client will and the program won't.

Let's not get caught up in work-arounds for this, no matter which method you use, it's still cumbersome and only works part time. I'm working with clients on the fly, changing wall definitions is not an impressive way to change wall color. The more we agree it's a dumb system the faster Chief will change it. I can't believe the present system has endured as long as it has, it's insane.

Thanks guys,
    Barry

Barry,

You are not painting the wall but the material assigned to it's surface. IF you change the properties of the color it affects the color in all locations. I understand this and accept it. The options presented work well.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Barry,

To expand on what Dennis said, the reason you're having the problem is the eyedropper tool is not the right tool for the job. The eye dropper tool will change the material definition, so if you pick up a color and drop it onto you're "1/2" drywall", you are forever changing the definition of drywall to that particular color.

In X1, I've found it quite easy to change the color of an individual wall if you use the right tools:

While in a render full camera view, click on "Tools>Toolbars>Customize Toolbars> go to "toolbar tab", highlight each of the "color pallets" and click activate.

At that point, you will look like the "super painter" to the customer. This is so much better than V10 was, to the point that I am reluctant to use this in front of the customer because I am afraid they will want me to go through the entire house and show them all the options of how each room will look in 10 different paint colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors (Large).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	16716  
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 08-22-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Zowie - As a relatively new user to Chief, I found changing the color of one wall to be rather simple and intuitive, I'm not sure where you're experiencing the problem? I think you should be able to use the Break Wall tool on either side of the wall you want to have changed (the shared one you mentioned with the living room and dining room). Right click on that wall, Open Object, go to the Materials Tab, click on Interior Wall Surface, and if its a color you've already used in the plan, just click on Plan Material and chose it. Viola, wall changed in color. Are you still having the problem or have the other folks here gotten you taken care of?
    Chief Architect Premier X5