Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    John, It's not that I "enjoy" this at all. However, I do and would like to start using X1 because it does have some features that save time. It's the basic things that are killing me. For what it's worth, I am sending in two plans to tech support today. I'm having Louis look at one that has elevation problems before I send it. I want to be sure that he is getting the same problems I'm getting.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I'm getting ready to start a new project and I plan do it in ver 10.

It's a rush job and I can't take the chance of running into issues.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

There was a reproducible case of dimensions not turning off that did get fixed at one point. If my memory serves it had to do with a particular sequence of editing events involving right click select. You shouldn't need to close Chief to fix this only close and reopen the plan or undo, redo.

There is a flag that gets set to turn on dimensions that are marking a particular object that isn't getting properly turned off when the edit is finished. This also happens in V10.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Dan, I don't right click to open anything. I left click and then open. I don't know.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I'm a major league right clicker...
    Maureen
    X6.current

I'm not sure of the cause, but it could be happening while editing a certain type of object. Or maybe how the edit gets shut down. For example clicking on another object to select it vs. hitting esc. vs. hitting a toolbar button etc. These all exercise slightly different parts of the code and it's likely that some combination of these is the cause.

If you can try to remember the last thing you did when it showed up that might be a clue to the steps to reproduce. Once we find the sequence, it will probably be easy to fix.

I thought that when I fixed the last case that this was fixed but obviously there is a case that we haven't found.
    Doug Park
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug, it defintely happens when I'm trying to edit something or select something. Very random though and not constistant enough to send in.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Sarah,

I've had this happen also. I haven't sent it in, because I haven't been able to reproduce it! The fact that the solution is to close and reopen, means that the minute we close it to pack it up, we just destroyed the evidence.

This is one where one of us almost needs to call you up and do an on-line meeting when we get this, (if we can afford to stop work for that long, of course).

I've had it happen with both the default dim layer and ones I've created, if that helps at all.
    If you have a plan that the problem in question has occurred, send it in with as much information as you can about how you got into the situation. Even if you can't reproduce it---and this applies to any crash or situation that forces you to restart Chief---doesn't mean we won't figure out how to do it on our end.

Don't worry about being responsible for reproducing it. If you can, that's awesome. If you can't but know the problem is there, give us as much information as you can. It's possible you're triggering a known issue---and we know how to test for those!
    Sarah Mitchell

I finally got 5 minutes of time to take a look at this and here is what I've found.

Hitting tab to get to the next object will leave some dimensions turned on until you reselect the object being edited and hit esc to cancel the edit.

A simple repro is 4 walls, auto dimension, turn off auto dim layer. Select a wall. Hit tab until nothing is selected.

To correct select the last wall you selected. Hit esc.

It's probably too late to get a fix for this into X1.3 but now that we know about the issue and how to reproduce it we should be able to get it into X1.4.

In the meantime the simple act of doing an undo/redo will correct the problem or simply select the object that last had dimensions on it and hit esc.

If this isn't how it is happening with you then please let us know so we can make sure we fix it completely.
    Doug Park
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair
    The BIGGEST and HUGE problem I'm having now is this plan I got permission to send to you all about not being able to send elevations (exterior or interior) to the layout and then closing the elevation without the program making me shut down. I talked about this in a different thread today. Sending the elevation is fine and no problems there. When I go back and close the elevation camera, I get an error box that tells me I have to abort. Then there's nothing to do but shut Chief down. When reopening the layout, the elevation is not there in the layout. Granted, I was using a layout file that was sent to me from someone else so I thought that was the problem. I deleted that layout file out of the folder. I brought forward one of my layout files that I've brought forward before and got the same result. I had no problems with that layout file in the past when bringing it forward to X1. Okay, so I deleted that file. I then created a new layout file From X1. Sent the elevation to that layout, closed the elevation camera and had the same result...shut down. So then I deleted that file, Which means that there's no layout file in the folder. I opened the elevation camera and sent that elevation to layout knowing that Chief was going to create a layout file because one was not present. Same result. Not good.

So, for me to make this work, I have to send the elevation to layout. Close the layout, then close the elevation camera. NO SHUT DOWN or abort error when closing the elevation camera. I have to go through all these steps for EVERY elevation to make it stay in the layout. The only problem with this is that the elevations in the layout are not updatable so I have to go through this same process every time I want to send an elevation to layout due to a change. This is a real pain and wastes time. I'm very good at going layouts and can't even begin to tell you how many I've done for Louis, his builders, not to mention my own layouts for my jobs. The plan I'm sending has this layout problem. I have had the other problems too but they're not consistant. This is.
    That bug is fixed and will be released the X1.3 update.
    Sarah Mitchell

Thank you.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)