Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dimension problem X1

I'm working on a plan that has dimensions on the "automatic dimension" layer. I have the layer turned off and they still show. Is there something I'm missing? I guess as a last resort, I'll make another layer>put them on it and then turn it off. This is not the 1st time this has happened. Any Ideas??

Thanks,
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Well, putting them on another layer whether new layer or an existing layer doesn't turn them off either!!!! I guess I'll try deleting them now.:mad:
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Well, closing Chief altogether and opening Chief again fixed the problem. What's up with that???:mad:
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I have the same problem but with the "Room Area" layer, it appears by itself mainly after editing a molding. closing and re-opening chief fix it till next time.
    Ash Shaker
    Architect
    Ash Tree Architecture
    Elkridge, MD, USA
    CA X5

Tommy:

complex software can have memory leaks etc that cause a setting to get "locked" and it takes shutting down the software or sometimes having to re-boot to free up the "glitch".

You should send the plan exhibiting the problem to tech support to see if they can "reproduce" the problem.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew, this is not my plan so I'm not a liberty to send it. It's still a frustrating problem to me. I had a problem the other day where I couldn't dimension to a roof baseline. Maybe shutting down would have fixed it. Don't know but you can waste time trying to figure out if it's something you did (or didn't do) or doing a shut down.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Is it just my imagination or does X1 have a serious amount of problems. I started Chief with version 10.04ish and really just jumped right in and started learning. This sort of bug is what drives newbies away forever due to shear frustration and starts bad reputations that never change. I'm still waiting on the sidelines on X1 and probably will still be waiting until X2.

Paul

Paul, there are things that need to be fixed. I have found that X1 is better for doing some things especially when making changes in elevations and camera views, and then some things do take a little longer. One thing I do feel is a must for people who haven't upgraded to X1 is to get a good understanding as best as possible on how layers and layersets work. They are a big part of X1. Glad my understanding of this is good.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair
    Lew, this is not my plan so I'm not a liberty to send it. It's still a frustrating problem to me. I had a problem the other day where I couldn't dimension to a roof baseline. Maybe shutting down would have fixed it. Don't know but you can waste time trying to figure out if it's something you did (or didn't do) or doing a shut down.
    Tommy:

If you can, could you send in a plan that replicates this same problem to tech support? If not that, can you give me a really good description of what's going on?

Thanks,
    Sarah Mitchell

Sarah, this thread was addressing dimension lines that would not go away. Well, believe it or not, I was just editing the electrical by moving the electrical connections a few minutes ago, and the manual dimensions just appeared with the layer turned off. The only way to make them go away again was to close Chief (X1) and reopen. They were gone. I have had so many problems in the last couple of days pertaining to dimesnions in one way or another and elevations sent to the layout forcing me to shut down the program.

I did just get permission that I could send this plan in for tech support. It's not a large plan by any means...just a small remodel.

The dimension strings not going away is something that doesn't consistantly happens, so I don't know if it will do it for you, but trust me it happens. Now I know how to fix it but I hate to keep shutting down the program.

There is another dimensioning problem that I have and I made a quick, short example in a plan file that I'm going to send. I sent it to Wendy and she agrees that I should have you all take a look at why it doesn't dimension. It should. This was brought up in a different thread yesterday.

The BIGGEST and HUGE problem I'm having now is this plan I got permission to send to you all about not being able to send elevations (exterior or interior) to the layout and then closing the elevation without the program making me shut down. I talked about this in a different thread today. Sending the elevation is fine and no problems there. When I go back and close the elevation camera, I get an error box that tells me I have to abort. Then there's nothing to do but shut Chief down. When reopening the layout, the elevation is not there in the layout. Granted, I was using a layout file that was sent to me from someone else so I thought that was the problem. I deleted that layout file out of the folder. I brought forward one of my layout files that I've brought forward before and got the same result. I had no problems with that layout file in the past when bringing it forward to X1. Okay, so I deleted that file. I then created a new layout file From X1. Sent the elevation to that layout, closed the elevation camera and had the same result...shut down. So then I deleted that file, Which means that there's no layout file in the folder. I opened the elevation camera and sent that elevation to layout knowing that Chief was going to create a layout file because one was not present. Same result. Not good.

So, for me to make this work, I have to send the elevation to layout. Close the layout, then close the elevation camera. NO SHUT DOWN or abort error when closing the elevation camera. I have to go through all these steps for EVERY elevation to make it stay in the layout. The only problem with this is that the elevations in the layout are not updatable so I have to go through this same process every time I want to send an elevation to layout due to a change. This is a real pain and wastes time. I'm very good at going layouts and can't even begin to tell you how many I've done for Louis, his builders, not to mention my own layouts for my jobs. The plan I'm sending has this layout problem. I have had the other problems too but they're not consistant. This is.

I will be sending two plans in the morning or maybe tonight. One is this plan with the elevation problem and one is a real simple dimensioning plan (the one I sent to Wendy).

Should I direct this to you at tech support? I will say that this is the first time I've had this kind of layout problem. The dimensioning things happen all the time at different times. The plan I'm sending for dimensions is a consistent thing so I can send it and BTW, it's something I do everyday in V10. As much as I hate to think about it, I guess I'll have to say all this again when I send it in just incase you don't see this thread or someone else looks at these plans.

Thank you for your time,
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 08-15-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

As much as I hate to think about it, I guess I'll have to say all this again when I send it in just incase you don't see this thread or someone else looks at these plans.
    Nope. I see it. In fact, any thread that has the words dim, dims, dimension, and dimensions are on my to-read, re-read, hound until further notice lists. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hits with brief rants about dimensions "not working" and very little information beyond that---can't fix the problem if we don't know anything beyond "it doesn't work".

It's quite possible that the first dim problem is a side effect caused by a different problem. Send it to tech support direct---you can ask them to forward the info to me if you want.

Any additional information you have about reproducing, how it happened, computer settings, Chief Version, will help us solve the problem faster.

There is another dimensioning problem that I have and I made a quick, short example in a plan file that I'm going to send. I sent it to Wendy and she agrees that I should have you all take a look at why it doesn't dimension. It should. This was brought up in a different thread yesterday.
    Which thread? I might not have read it yet.

No promises that it'll be fixed immediately---have to verify the bug first! But I'll make sure the development team knows about it.

Thanks! And goodnight!
    Sarah Mitchell

Tommy,

You're not crazy; I've had the same displaying of dimensions on a layer which was set to not show.

Sarah,

I solo reported this issue on 2/15 and 7/11 +/-. You will find plans in other reports sent at/about the same time, but as Tommy says, sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't. I wish I could be more helpful in the steps to reproduce this, but it seems very random.
    Maureen
    X6.current

Sarah,

I've had this happen also. I haven't sent it in, because I haven't been able to reproduce it! The fact that the solution is to close and reopen, means that the minute we close it to pack it up, we just destroyed the evidence.

This is one where one of us almost needs to call you up and do an on-line meeting when we get this, (if we can afford to stop work for that long, of course).

I've had it happen with both the default dim layer and ones I've created, if that helps at all.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

As a former programmer this sounds like a memory leak where a list is exceeding its "boundaries" and is overflowing to areas where it shouldn't causing settings to be changed etc. Thus, when the program is closed the problem goes away.

Wendy:

maybe doing an export "save entire plan" might "capture" the situation.

Side note:

I had a situatuon on a Mainframe program once that I inherited and had to make changes to. Made my changes, ran the program and the entire mainframe went down. Being late in the afternoon I waited a bit and then went home. Next morning, I fire up the test again and the entire mainframe goes down again.

About an hour later I had the tech support people standing at my desk wondering what in the H*** I am running. Entire mainframes aren't suppose to go down, a program can crash but it shouldn't take the system with it.

Turns out the program had a list of divisions set to 100 occurs right at the end of the storage area, just before the program code started. My changes were not related to this area. When div 101 was entered the list overflowed into the code area and wham !!!

All that was needed was a test to ensure that no more than 100 div's were entered into the list with a warning being given when the list exceeded 90% capacity so the the list size could be increased as growth occurred.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

RHD is offline Registered User Promoted
    I'm glad there are some who are willing to "test" new software and find new programming errors. I guess I'm getting too old to enjoy that type of pain anymore. I'm with Tim, sticking to ver. 10 for awhile longer...
    John