color changes from soffett tool

I have had this problem with cheif 97 & 6.0.
    I know of no short way to describe it.
    I will be detailing the 3-D exteriorof a building and using the Soffett tool for various items, a run of solider brick, or a ledge under a window, I use different materials with the Soffett to acheive vairous results. Sometimes when I adjust the color of a given soffett/material I will get a color change in several areas of the plan. Opaque windows will change to the new color, Stucco, interior walls, counter tops, furiture, ect. Some sofett items will change to the new color and some do not.
    What am I doing wrong? how can I keep items/colors seperated? Thanks for any Help .D.

In Chief 6.0 you can assign soffits to different layers, thereby allowing you to ascribe different colours, line weights, materials, etc. That will enable each layer's soffits to retain the desired effect.

I'm not sure why you are getting color change in several areas of the plan. Since windows, walls, furniture, etc, are on their own designated layers, they ought to be able to be manipulated by layer. Just make sure that you don't double up in layer assignments.

Hopefully someone else will be able to shed more light on the subject.

When you adjust a color in elevation or perspective view, it adjusts that color for every item that is assigned that color in the plan irrespective of individual item adjustments otherwise made. Knowing that can be useful. This is also true via adjustments made in the dialogue boxes of individual objects in that the color adjustments are universal even though made in the DBX of one object. The adjustment is of the color itself not just the objects color.

I tend to create my own colors from other unused colors and then assign them to the objects and materials, I do this with textures (unused materials that I redefine and assign textures to) as well.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

[This message has been edited by David J. Potter (edited 29 November 1999).]