Drawing all layers

When creating construction documents: Are you ( Chief comunity) using all layers ei. air gap, sheathing, Sheetrock, ect. or just stud and brick. Seems easier to leave out some of these layers for dimensioning purposes.

Greg...........hope you get my question

Do you mean the wall layers as they appear in the plan view? Section view?

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Default wall layer in the wall dbx box. Does anybody ever eliminate some of the layers. I am asking because when I dimension and when adding a dimension mark, I have to be careful which layer the dimension mark falls on. If I miss and land on say sheetrock instead of the main layer of framing, anyway, seems like I spend a lot of time verifying where my added dimemsion fall on the group of layers. Just a question

Greg
    Last edited by gchristenson; 08-08-2007 at 11:17 AM.

There have been other threads on this. Have you tried a search?

I have honestly waffled back and forth a bit depending on the project between wanting to show all the layers on the plan and going with a "generic" wall configuration so that just the framing lines show in plan. There are pros and cons to both. I think lately I have gone back to showing all the layers and just being careful about dimensions and where they go to.

But I know Wendy has suggested one strategy is to get all your walls where you want them (and I would probably delete all plan dimensions at this point) then Auto Dimension your walls (which will always go to framing as long as you set it up that way) and then lock those on their own layer.

As far as needed additional manual dimensions, (and I am not positive if this is always the case) they typically will snap to the main/framing layer too when you first pull them.

Does that help?

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Yes, it helps.
    Thanks again Bryce for the thoughts.

Greg

I use all the layers now that I have gone beyond single wall plans, so no. i do not delete any layers.

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I started off using all layers (V4) but found the dimensioning too much trouble so stripped it back to just the framing layer and the exterior cladding. I am considering going back to using more layers now that Chief is making a better job of displaying framing for cross sections. Without internal wall linings cross section show all the studs in walls that are in elevation behind.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb