Thread: floating houses

floating houses

My buildings sometimes seem to float in the air. If I put a car in the garage you can sometimes look under and it will be a foot off the ground. What am I leaving out? What I think is a corrollary problem is that very often when I put a door in, whether it is a garage door or a front door it won't reach all the way to the bottom of the wall.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you built a terrain for the house to sit on? Otherwise, yes, it's just "floating".

The door is likely sitting on top of the floor framing, unless you have specifically built a slab foundation.

Not sure about the car. It may come in automatically set at 0". If your floor is lower, the car may need to be lowered manually. Depends on the properties of the particular symbol.

Helps if you can post a pic of your situation.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Try this. Maybe it will help. Give the garage a room def. of garage. Build your foundation, then place your garage door. Remember that doors are placed a 0" or or floor height. Build your terrain and then set the platform height to where you want the terrain to sit. May help.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Thank you for the quick replies. My students are building houses in a Career and Tech Ed class. I should know what I'm doing but we are doing videos, finance and other stuff and it's kind of the blind leading the blind with Chief. I think the answers about the foundation and terrain will help a lot. We will work on the doors and cars some more.