"No 3D Faces Detected"

I am using AutoCAD 2007 and ChiefArchitect 10.08a. I am (for the first time) trying to import 3d objects, such as cabinet doors from AutoCAD to Chief. I am able to import 2d dwg files, such as plans, but as of yet I've had no success importing 3d extruded objects into Chief. I always recieve the error message "No 3D Faces Detected." I've looked at everything I can find on importing both online and here on ChiefTalk, but can't figure out what I am doing wrong, in either AutoCAD or Chief. Help?

Have you tried exploding your 3d extruded object in Autocad before importing? Chief 10 only imports 3d faces, and your object sounds like it might be a solid. Chief X1 will automatically explode the solid into individual faces, but if you are importing into Chief 10, you may need to manually explode the solid into faces in Autocad.
    Chris Tenbrink
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Lucky Me, I have another computer in the office with Chief XI and it worked perfect to just send my solid into the program. However trying to send objects to Chief 10 still isn't working. Even exploding a simple box in AutoCAD into multiple faces brought the "No 3D Faces" error message. Is it something I am doing wrong in CAD?

John,

I'm not an AutoCAD user but I have seen this issue using objects created in TurboCAD and then imported as symbols into Chief. The exploding of the solid object ususally worked BUT, sometimes I had to explode the object more than once. Not sure why...

- Barton

explode the object more than once

Nested blocks ?

Also, consider that they objects may have been created by 3rd party plug-ins for Autocad and even Autocad can have trouble with these.
    This tip has been posted by others on the forum.

Try some searches as there are many threads about Autocad issues,
    and faces and solids and ....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Since Chief 10 allows you to import 3D Faces from AutoCAD, the goal is to figure out how to go from an Autocad 3D Solid to a set of 3D Faces. Using the EXPLODE command on a 3D Solid with planar faces in AutoCAD produces a set or Regions. I used the CONVTOSURFACE command in AutoCAD to convert the Regions into Surfaces, but I haven't yet figured out the path from Surfaces to 3D Faces inside AutoCAD.

Or, you could just upgrade to Chief X1 and take advantage of the code I wrote that does all of this for you automatically.
    Chris Tenbrink
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.

does all of this for you automatically

Chris:

My favorite phrase

I really see some nice features in X1 and once the "issues" are dealt with I think it will be an awesome release.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)