Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Scott,

Be sure to send that plan to us so we can work out what the problem is. It's not one I have seen and I doubt it's in our database.

I'm not quite certain I understand why you need the R values unless you intend for us to do the energy calcs. Currently doing engineering calculations in an area that is beyond the scope of the product.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

window schedule problem

Dan,
    Here is the file, if I've done it right. I flagged the screwy windows with red text.

I've discovered the bug Wendy mentioned, re materials not copying properly, on another design. A small drag, but cope-able now that I know it's there. In this case, the schedule was no problem, perhaps because I'm dealing with old existing windows that I sized manually, i.e., not starting with Marvin content.

Re the R-values, the point is to be able to sort and aggregate exterior surface areas based on R-value (and orientation, optimally) which then makes it easy to use other heat-loss modeling software. So it's just a matter of attaching one more datapoint to your various surfaces (wall, floor, ceiling, window, door) and then sorting on that datapoint. Of course, adding energy modeling capability would be a nice feature, one that would really make CA stand out from the field, but that's a taller order. Maybe connect with software that's out there? Or I could send you the elaborate spreadsheet I developed over 11 years running a Weatherization program office....

I'll be interested to hear if you find my schedule problem is of my own making, or some sinister hidden bug.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is easy to dismiss the material list as pretty close to worthless because of the lack of optimization as mentioned in an earlier post. However, upon further reflection I find that I use it for every job that I do. I've applied ratios to calculate trim work labor based on lineal footage of casing & base and been fairly satisfied with the result. I also check quantities against roofing bids, fixture counts for plumbing, etc.

Primarily, I rely on it for filling out the reschek energy calc software required by all the local building jurisdictions here to complete the permitting process. Up until now a relatively painless process. However, the latest version of reschek - 4.1.3 - tracks the polar locations of walls, windows, and doors, via front, back, left or right side, and will not let me proceed without those things being flagged. I'm not sure if this is a function of the latitude I live at or what else. I haven't had the opportunity to dig into it.

I think this is what Scott is alluding to when he discusses r-values and surface areas.

I would add that breaking up the heated glass, walls, doors, into front, back, etc. would be a welcomed addition (along with better optimization), and hopefully not to difficult to code since it is already done in the vector mode.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by arketype
    Dan,
    Here is the file, if I've done it right. I flagged the screwy windows with red text.

I'll be interested to hear if you find my schedule problem is of my own making, or some sinister hidden bug.

Thanks.
    It's clear we have bug here.

The problem exists with a combination of two things that are seldom used by most users and even more seldom combined thus it was not noted before.

If you are using a component code and are including the schedule number in your label then copying the window produces a copy of the original window but somehow results in a new number for the window you copies.

To witness this problem do the following:

1. Place any window, (does not have to be mulled)
    2. Add a product code to the components
    3. Create a window schedule
    4. On the label tab of the schedule check "Include Schedule #" and "Product Code Label"
    5. On the Text tab of the schedule check "Label"
    6. Now copy the window and paste it.
    You will get a second entry in the schedule and the first window that you copied will be renumbered.

I am filing a bug on this as it's clearly a problem that we have never witnessed before.

As a solution to this problem do the following:

1. Open the Schedule
    2. Go to the label tab and uncheck Include Schedule #" and "Product Code Label"
    3. Close the schedule and the windows will be renumbered.
    4. Now open the schedule and recheck the two options.
    This will recombine the windows that are the same. Any difference between the displayed columns in a schedule will result in a different line used so if you hide that column it will combine the windows. You can see this happen in the attached plan if you uncheck the label column.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

window schedule problem

Dan,
    Just got around to checking your workaround. Worksaround great, no sweat. Thanks for checking into this.
    --Scott