Mike is offline Registered User Promoted

raytrace not working

Hi,
    I am using chief 10.08b with vista. I am trying to do a rendering and a message comes up "cannot complete rendering". I have changed the UAC settings to off . Any suggestions?

regards,

Michael

Maybe a texture in your trace that chief doesn't like? I've had this happen when I've imported new textures on occasion.
    I always have trouble remembering three things: faces, names, and - I can't remember what the third thing is.

Troy Sabean
    Building Stylist & Stucture Synthesizer
    RCL Website - www.roscoe.ns.ca
    Chief X4
    Sketchup 8 Pro

When you run 10.08 on Vista you need to always choose to run as administrator. If you have not been running as administrator you will encounter problems with file virtualization and may notice missing toolbars, library items, and other customizations due to the Vista operating system.

The issue is that some of our textures are progressive jpg's which the raytrace cannot handle. It makes a new copy of the file in the root of the C drive and then runs the raytrace. When completed it deletes the file. Vista does not allow access to these areas and virtualizes the file by writing it to a user data area in a hidden folder. The Povray engine then cannot find the file.

If you run as administrator it should work.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

thanks dan,
    I have run as administrator but it still doesn't work. Someone mentioned that you have to direct the program on installation. I installed the program after I had logged in as the administrator. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Michael

I tried to remove chief but add /remove programs won't let me.
    Any suggestions !!

regards,

Mike

Reboot and try again.

If no luck, then contact tech support ?

There are utilities that can remove a reluctant app but I can't
    find the one I've been meaning to buy.

I'll re-post if I find it.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Mike

'There are utilities that can remove a reluctant app but I can't
    find the one I've been meaning to buy.'

CCleaner will remove applications that Add/Remove wont and it's free. You can d'load it from here: http://www.ccleaner.com/download
    Len Martin BDAV
    RBP DP-AD1885
    Melbourne
    Australia

V4 through to X6 16.1.1.9X64
    "A putt left short will never go in the hole"

I have had no luck in getting the raytrace to work in Vista, after trying everything that has been suggested in here, but with no luck. So I just save the file to a floppy and do the raytracing on my XP Desktop.
    Dragon

Jim

jhatton64@gmail.com

Chief Architect X2

I have also tried all the things suggested on the user centre, chief talk & the online support and I don't believe that chief 10.08b rayrtrace works on vista. Can anybody confirm that they can do a raytrace with chief 10.08b on vista? I have tried to do the same by copying the file over and doing a raytrace on my kids computer that has xp. But this is an old computer and works very slowly and the raytrace takes forever, but more importantly why should we have to go to an old machine when I just bought a brand new machine !!!
    I must say I have tried the new online support service (which has been quite helpful) who have given various things to try but still no raytrace.
    I believe this is a bug and maybe they just can't fix it.
    Once again is there anybody using chief 10.08b on vista that is able to do a raytrace ?

regards,

Michael

I have been raytracing with vista and chief 10.08. I had the same problem you are having. Tech support helped me discover that the ini. part of the sample file raytrace used did not install. I tried to use the online support, but it finally took calling to fix it. I would tell you hew I had to do it but I don't remember where they had me go. It is still not completely fixed, every now and then it still will not raytrace certain scenes. Those scenes it seems to be that I haver to much stuff in the scene. That is why I logged on chieftalk today apparently cabinets in the dollhouse view is to much for chief. The raytrace though has been working for about 95% of the scenes I have tried.

Good Luck!