Thread: Zone Alarm

Zone Alarm

Anyone heard any bad news on zone alarm. I am using a Cable modem. Do not know if it will cause my system to act up or not. Something like that Norton Anti - virus, it really caused problems.

Thanks,
    Richard

Richard,
    I have been using Zone Alarm with a Road Runner cable modem for about 6 months without any problems that I know of. I was amazed when I installed the free version on how many hits to my PC it blocks. I am glad that I installed it after reading about it on the Chief Users group.

Bob Sweet

Zone alarm is an excelent piece of software and a very solid firewall if properly configured, and a fairly good one even if left to it's own default setup.

It will not cause the same kinds of conflicts that anti-virus software causes. The pro version does have an email integration thing that causes some email program/ISP combinations to act up, but the free version does nothing that it should not and does it's job well.

Highly recomended.

Caleb
    Caleb E. Maclennan
    - Chief Works Studio
    - - Integrating Chief & The Internet
    http://www.chiefworks.com

I have used ZoneAlarm for years and it does a great job. I have used the Pro version for 6 months and it also does a great job.

ZoneAlarm and Norton Antivirus 2002 work great with W2000 Pro (no more problems with Email etc.), a cable modem for @COX.net (replaced @HOME.com when Excite went out of business), a Linksys cable modem router (with a hardware firewall) and 4 port switch for a network with four computers and sometimes six
    Last edited by trbrock; 01-17-2002 at 06:42 AM.

trbrock or anyone else with suggestions,
    a Lynksys cable modem router (with a hardware firewall) and 4 port switch for a network
    Which model Lynksys and how long have you had it in service?

The system has been running for over a year and works great. The Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 4 port switch is a Linksys BEFSR41. The network also has a Linksys EFSP42 2 parallel port print server with a 10/100 4 port switch and a Linksys EZXS55W 10/100 4 port switch. The three different Linksys boxes are used to support 3 different locations with computers one of which has the shared printers. I bought the tools and components and installed all of the wiring and equipment myself, which was quite a project. At some point I may install a wireless access point to enable using a laptop anywhere including outside. I have developed instructions, which I will be glad to provide to anyone who wants them, for configuring the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router and your computer when used with a cable modem on a system that uses an ISP like @HOME or its various replacements.
    Last edited by trbrock; 01-17-2002 at 06:46 AM.

Thank you Guys very much for the feedback

trbrock,

Thank you for your reply.