Thread: Freezing Bug

Freezing Bug

I am posting this under a new topic to be sure to get the attention of the powers that be at ART. This is the same problem that I mentioned under "Program Freeze". I have repeated this situation several times now with different plans, including a new plan with a simple box house, so the complexity of the plan has nothing to do with the freeze. This problem is reproduceable consistently and is very annoying when doing CAD details.
    1.Open any plan or make a simple new test one. 2. Bring up a CAD Details page under Tools. 3. Copy any 2D detail over to the CAD detail page from DBTec's details. (I was using the concrete footings) 4. Now, draw a regular polyline box. 5. Highlight the box and open the dbx by clicking on the "door" icon. If that does not freeze your program, either I have a computer problem or there is something affecting my copying from DBTec. Thanks, ART, for looking into this.
    (I am talking about 6.0 Oct. 21) Ellis

Ellis,

Try making your own dfx out and then import it to a CAD detail and see if that makes any difference, I haven't used the Detailer in a while but the Lion's share of my current production is converting ACAD house plans to 2-D dfx (using ACAD LT 97)and then import into Chief as 2-D dfx for a Builder in Dallas and I have had zero and I mean zero problems. If I did I would be howling too.
    I tried your instructions with one of my huge ACAD dfxs to no adverse effect, I'll try the Detailer and then report back.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

OK, I ,Thanks to DBTec's site,(Dan's redone it and it is really well done and worth a visit!) got my detailer working again, tried your scenerio and nothing happened at all except everything worked flawlessly. I am sorry your are having the "jumps" but I have done what I could to duplicate your malady to zero results, I do wish you well.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

Sorry Ellis,I get the same results as DJP in both DirectX and non-DX V.6, Patched to Oct 21. Are your file associations pointing to Chief6? Could it be a Video driver problem? Sometimes they mainfest themselves in aggravating ways. When things don't work I KNOW how FRUSTRATING they can be, maybe someone else has an idea to help you.

Tim O'D
    O'Donnell Construction

Thank you, Tim and David, for trying this for me. Perhaps Tim is onto something since most of my problems seem to have started after I switched to a new Diamond Viper 770 Ultra 32 meg card. I thought I was preparing myself for the next version of Chief, but I seem to have just created more problems. I think I will stick my old Diamond Fire GL 1000 back in to see what happens. I have had more problems with Chief and other programs since I added 128 memory to the 128 I had, and now the video card is suspect. I never had freezes or crashes before I tried to get all this new stuff. It is particularly bad after the computer has run for several hours. Perhaps this overhearting thing discussed elsewhere is a factor. The new video card even has a fan of its own. My problem is that I am only modestly knowledgeable in all the fine points of the technical stuff. Thanks again.
    Ellis

I have the Diamond Viper 550 w/16mb vram and mine works great, wish I had the 770 as that would be better evidence for you but I don't. Time to call a "Nerd/Hacker" me thinks, I am lucky as my oldest son is one, he built my computer.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Ellis:

If you are running the 770 at 32-bit true color, back it off to 16-bit and try it again.

Al

Al: Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I got the same result twice in two separate plans. I also downloaded and installed the latest driver for the Viper 770 Ultra and got the freeze twice again. I have devoted my night (before Thanksgiving) to try to solve this problem, and I am no further along than before I tried all this. Basically, I cannot copy anything from DBTec and then draw any polyline box without freezing and restarting. Something is amiss, and I'm not so sure anymore that it is on my end.
    Ellis