Thread: Quoins

Quoins

I am doing a two-story plan with brick quoins. The problem I am having is that where the two floors meet there is no space between the quoins. How do I get the same spacing between the quoins at that point as I do with the rest of the quions?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Tracy Eberly
    Cumberland, MD
    www.foxcrafthomes.com

You need to do the math...take the total height of the first floor and divide it by the sum of (height of quoin + space) ..this will possibly give you a decimal

For example: a total wall height of 107 1/8" (Wall+subfloor+joist) divided by 13 1/2 (12" quoin + 1 1/2" space) =7.935185 rows , round this to 8 and divide 107 1/8 by 8=13 25/64...set the quoin to 12 and the space to 1 3/8. Because Chief limits you to 1/16" values, you gain a 1/64 on each set in this example, which in the total wall height in this example will gain an extra 1/8" in the final space.
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 12-20-2001 at 12:11 PM.

I must be dumber than a bag of hammers, but I can not make the quoins of the second floor continue on up in the same sequence with size and spacing the same. Always a problem where floors meet. Ist floor ht 109 1/8 with 12" floor. Second floor 97 1/8 also with 12" floor. What is the trick? Can they be selected in a wiew and dragged up, or can they be copied from floor to floor?
    Thanks, Ken Ginger

you need to direct enter the gap and ht of the quoin in the Quoin Layout dbx..select the quoin in plan view and open it's dbx...then enter the desired values in the appropriate boxes...in your example the total ht of the floor is 121 1/8"...you will probably want an even number of rows on each level, so that the quoins maintain the stagger at the second floor....let's use 10 rows in this example, this makes each set of: (Space+Quoin)=12.1125"...since Chief accepts only increments of 1/16" in this dbx you will need round the number off, rounding up in this case to 12 1/8" will produce the least error (.0125" for each set in this case or a total of .125" or 1/8" in the total ht, this will be taken in the last space at the top of the wall)...in this example you could set the gaps to 1 1/2 and the quoins to 10 5/8, or 1 1/4 and 107/8 or whatever values you chose, as long as they total 12 1/8....if you want wider quoins and gaps use 8 rows instead of 10..use the same values on the second floor quoins....