Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have noticed that it helps to use automatic dimensions to dimension angled walls. Forget trying to dimension angled walls with manual dimensions. It's that manual dimension thing again!
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Angled Interior Walls

When it comes to dimensioning angled interior walls, my 'chief' concern is that my drawing is as accurate as possible and that those in the field who work behind me have to do as little figuring as possible to reproduce my work. I get paid to think and plan, the trades get paid to build. In previous versions of CHIEF this angled dimensioning was not an issue. A 45d wall would respond to the dimensions along its rise/run. I still need these dimensions for to omit them (because today's software no longer does it) is not a good practice. I can still include them, however it is more costly for me to do so because I have to 'trick' or find a way around the software. Clearly it is not too much to expect that this functionality be returned in an update sooner rather than later.

You can easily edit the dimension to get what you want. There is no trick involved here.
    Drag a dim, drag the ext. where you want. Pretty straight forward.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Granted, I may be missing something here. I can certainly dimension the rise/run of 45d walls, but am not able to edit the location of the 45d wall precisely by selecting the wall, then selecting the corresponding dimension. I've tried this numerous times and have resorted to locating points or CAD lines at the correct location and then moving the walls to those locations and then updating the dimension. In one thread, a CHIEF REP admits that this function is lost. There is no question that I am venting some of my frustration about this. Maybe I'm the only one?....

You can easily edit the dimension to get what you want. There is no trick involved here.
    Drag a dim, drag the ext. where you want. Pretty straight forward.
    I disagree. Many times, I cannot get a dimension to stick where I want it. I usually resort to placing a cad line and then dim to that. Perhaps there is a setting that will help with precisely orienting a dimension.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

I have also had some difficulty with dimensions on angles. I have a hard time getting them to be the same exact angle as the object, which in turn makes it hard to use them for movement. I believe Sarah said she's working on smoothing this out.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels
    not able to edit the location of the 45d wall precisely by selecting the wall, then selecting the corresponding dimension.
    You are absolutely correct when using manual dimensions. Yes, manual dimensions again. I have brought this up before. Most of the time for me, the manual dimension strings don't associate with angled walls...a pain for me. I will say that you will have much better luck if you place auto dimensions and not use manual dimensions. Dimensioning angled walls worked much better in 10. I use manual dimensioning the most, so yes, I have other problems too with manual dimensioning that I have brought up. I'm only hoping that something is done with the manual dimensions in the 4th patch.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Well this may be why I don't see the problem. I use auto dim only for building and dimensioning the model.
    later when I am finishing up for my CD's I will add the neccesary manual dimensions as required.
    I'm helping a contractor in RI with this mansion built around 1800. Multi Million dollar property right on the ocean.
    Talk about angle walls There are many. Training her on line. She had manual dims all over the place. So I deleted them and auto dim the model.
    Then went around the model and adjusted wall lenths.
    There was a couple of area's where 3 walls came together that I needed to adjust the Ext. line. So I pulled one wall back, move the ext., pulled the wall to it's intersection.
    I know that dim are not working as well as they need to be, but it seems that auto dim are working better than manual.
    Last edited by Gary Doski; 11-15-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

This should be a lot better in X1.4. There are actually several cases of dimensioning that never worked in any version of Chief that will now work in X1.4. This is in addition to fixing up a few cases where things got broken, like dimensioning angled walls.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Wahoooo!!!!!!!!
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)