Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

moving angled walls

I am using version X1.
    When I draw a wall at a 45 degree angle, I dimensioned the length of the wall. If I click on the wall and try to click on the dimension I can't get the dimension dialog box to pop up so I can change the wall from 3'-5 15/16" to 3'-6". I never had a problem with this in 9.54 but for some reason I can't get this to work with X1. Is there some new way to accurately resize walls at 45 degree angles?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Thomas M. Withers
    TMW Design
    www.tmwdesign.com
    509.374.3298 office
    206.854.2471 cell

Thomas,

You have always had to click on the angled wall and the previous dimension to change the length of the angled wall.

I click on the wall first, then when I click on the dimension the dialog box won't open.
    Basically I can't get the dimension to recognize I am trying to click on it.

Thanks,

Thomas
    Thomas M. Withers
    TMW Design
    www.tmwdesign.com
    509.374.3298 office
    206.854.2471 cell

Click on the previous dimension, not the one on the angled wall.

Louis,
    I appreicate your assistance.
    I am doing as you are saying but I am not able to get it to work. If I open up 9.54 everything works as you have described, with X1 I am not able to do this. Even created a new plan with one wall at 45 degrees, dimensioned everything and I get the same results.

Thomas
    Thomas M. Withers
    TMW Design
    www.tmwdesign.com
    509.374.3298 office
    206.854.2471 cell

You can't change the length of a wall in 10 or X1 by clicking the dimension along a wall's length. I can't remember what happened in V9.
    Think about how you resize houses and rooms - and hence a wall's length.
    You select the wall and then click on the dimension that is 90 deg. to the wall.

You can select the wall, open it's dbx and change the length there if you don't have a wall at 90deg to the wall you want to change.

I just tried V9 - you can't do it there either.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Louis,
    I sent you my test plan that gives me the same trouble as all my plans with angled walls.
    I thank you in advance for taking a look at this.

Glenn,
    In 9.54 I could dimension the angle walls length, click on the wall, then click on the dimension and I could modify it. I just tried this in 9.54 and it works for me. X1 does not work, well at least I can't get it to work.

Thomas
    Thomas M. Withers
    TMW Design
    www.tmwdesign.com
    509.374.3298 office
    206.854.2471 cell

I know what you're trying to do and did it in version 10. It won't work in X1. This is lost functionality and should be reported as such.

Draw an octagonal room. Auto dimension. Click on any wall to highlight, then click on the dimension directly outside the wall....the real one, not the temp dimension for the selected wall. You will be able to set the length in V 10 but not in X1. You have to set a walls dimension by moving an adjacent wall in X1.

Thomas,

The dimension does not see an association to the wall. I got it to see it by moving it.

Anther way to work with it is us auto dimensions then it sees it.

Louis,

I just tried auto dimensioning and it would work like you said. This is fine for exterior walls, but interior walls?? I tried moving it to get it to see the association and was not successful in the attempt.

Ibuild,

Thanks for your comment, since it use to work and no longer does I agree with you that this is lost functionality. What is the best way to report this?

Thanks for all your comments.

Thomas
    Thomas M. Withers
    TMW Design
    www.tmwdesign.com
    509.374.3298 office
    206.854.2471 cell

Ah, now I see what you mean.
    I was imagining you were trying to change the length of a a single wall standing by itself.
    Yes, this does appear to be lost functionality.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

It is indeed lost function. It is on my list of things to look at.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

$600 later and I can't dimension angled interior walls? We're supposed to draw CAD lines, dimension them, and then dimension walls off of the CAD lines and then erase the Cad lines or assign them and their dimensions to a new layer which we have to create and define. This is a costly oversight because I can;t remember the last house I drew without some angled interior walls. I look forward to an update that resolves this problem soon.

Dimension the sides not the hypotnuse

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels
    $600 later and I can't dimension angled interior walls?
    If I can remember 3 decades ago... in drafting class I was marked down for dimensioning angles directly. I dimension the associated 'straight' wall, give the angle of the 'bent' wall separately and then continue the dimension line to the next adjoining wall. With the sizing variations in milled boards, added corner beads and variable drywall thickness I am better off letting the angled wall run into the next wall and not worrying about small fractions. Or I just dimension the two 'invisible' sides of the Right angle.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64