Contractor Certification

A sister thread to the Architects/Designer thread...

Starting next year Contractors in Georgia will have to be certified... Clearly the builder still carries first liability here as permit requirements still very lax in most counties, releasing those designing residential work of any standards. Makes sense as often detailed plans are not followed or understood by some contractors.

In the last few months I have had a very high volume of work I suspect from new contractors assuming I am registered and will be of help in their certification as the deadline nears. I have lost the business of a couple once I replied I won't be able to help them with their looming problem. I am degreed but not registered.. I find it particularly annoying that quite a few contractors (or would-be) would like to avoid the certification tests. I spent 5 years in college yet they don't want to take a relatively straight forward test.. I wonder what if any liability I would have if I were registered and accommodated them. Doubtless there will be a brisk business for registered Architects strapped for money later this year.

I think certification should be required for design as well as building... I can't believe what I see for drawings and the resulting houses here sometimes..

Georgia Contractors please expand on this... as well other States that require Contractor Certification..
    Rashid Garuba
    http://www.aaihomeplans.com

Datacad 11