Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Top Tips for X1

I was waiting for this topic to come back around. First off thanks for all the help and tips but Wendy what do you mean by this first one? What exactly should one do with the entire upper right section?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton

Preferences - Edit - Snap Properties - the entire upper right section

The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Jeff,

I think the idea of a sticky "tips" is excellent.

However, I've referenced this one and a couple of others repeatedly, rather than repost, because the parts that are on-topic represent a boat-load of work. Before starting again, let's think about how we might avoid pouring time into re-collecting only to have it side-tracked again.

So - I have a couple of alternate thoughts -

1 - I would have no problems with you guys editing this thread to remove the tangents. I'm betting Allen and others who started similar would be on board with that also. Some of the tangents were amusing at the time, but now make it harder for someone to find the useful stuff.

I haven't read all 5 or 6 pages in awhile to see if there are any "editorial" statements, as opposed to silliness about Judge Judy. Even if there are, anyone interested has had plenty of time to read them.

2 - A sticky "best of" where one of the moderators plucks tips from other threads for inclusion. When people think something should go there, they can say so in the original threads. If someone wants to editorialize or just get silly, they can do that in the original thread.

I thought of the 2nd because it's almost inevitable that a regular thread get off-topic.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Paste and hold position

The paste and hold position feature is the best as many have found out. Hope this isn't too simple but I was building roofs manually the other day and saw that I needed to build some hip roofs but only for a small, complex corner of the building.

Did a 'save as' of the plan, auto built the entire roof on the newly saved version, shift selected and copied the 5 roof planes I needed, switched to the original plan, paste hold position, and voila the hip roofs were built and placed exactly as they should have.

NICE
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief
    I was waiting for this topic to come back around. First off thanks for all the help and tips but Wendy what do you mean by this first one? What exactly should one do with the entire upper right section?

Thanks
    [COLOR="Blue"]Quote:
    Originally Posted by WendyWelton

Preferences - Edit - Snap Properties - the entire upper right section[/COLOR]

Larry,

By this I meant that all the settings in the upper right are important, and that learning what they are, how they affect your work, will go a long ways towards editing happiness.

The Help menu and manual explain them, so I didn't go into detail. It's also important to try each of these settings and compare your experience to what Help and the manual say.

It would take more words than even I can spit out to cover those settings in a way that replaces this combination of reading and personal testing.

That said - if you, or anybody else, does both and has more questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them - and I'm sure others would also.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Thanks Wendy,

I'll take the time to test each setting and compare behaviors - and post anything interesting if I think it will help.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj
    If the person posting the thread could delete post that were off topic,that would work/help..
    I am guilty of going off topic..Just this post for one..
    (Underlining mine) - exactly why this thread was originally a copy & paste from another, that had gotten off topic - and exactly why just starting over yet again probably won't accomplish what we wish.

Also - I take a certain amount of flak now and then for being active, sometimes being opinionated, sometimes trying to be positive has itself been somehow construed as a bad thing... Anyway - I would rather not have any more power over any particular thread than anybody else. So, I don't want to start a new tips thread and then be in a position to remove others posts. Posting an opinion that we think another has been out of line, that a post is off-topic, inappropriate, inaccurate, whatever, is a far cry from having the power to delete posts - and that's exactly the kind of thing that I see happening if an individual user were given that control over even a single thread. I think we need to leave moderating to the moderators.

I think a sticky tips would be invaluable for the new user, and an excellent use of this forum. I just think it needs CA involvement. I have to think that having new users and migrators reach editing happiness faster would make it worth CA devoting a bit of moderating time to it.

Personally - I would favor a "best of" where things get voted onto the island, a positive thing, than things be removed.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief
    Thanks Wendy,

I'll take the time to test each setting and compare behaviors - and post anything interesting if I think it will help.
    Larry,

I probably should have also clarified - when you first start with Chief X1 there's nothing telling you that these settings matter much. They matter a whole lot. I was really trying to say "go here first".
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

To get your model back on the grid in X-1 turn off your angle snaps.

Great thread that should get bumped back up..

Framing reference marker tip.

Set one in you template plan at 0 0 and you will have a corner marker to start plans at..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	22906

I added cad lines to dimension the studs from.
    1st stud should be 15 1/4" off the corner so the 4' x 8' sheets will break in the center of a stud,joist,or rafter..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

presentation technique

In the attached shot there is a symbol made from a 3D molding polyline and and polyline solid. (behind the towels) I made the symbol so I could resize the tiled border and the wall in conjunction with the glass live in front of the client so they could determine which "look" they liked best. Beats having 2-3 versions of the same thing. The border does get a little stretched but it makes for easy decision making when live with the client.
    If I were good with stretch planes the stretching probably wouldn't be an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower render.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	23192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower render2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	23193  
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Framing reference marker tip.

Set one in you template plan at 0 0 and you will have a corner marker to start plans at..
    If you set your model corner at 0,0 you don't need a framing marker at all.

Louis,how do you start it at 0,0 without a marker?
    I have my template plan with 4 walls started already now..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4