Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Top Tips for X1

PS: I wish they would take the food disposal outlet symbol out of "switches" and put it in with the rest of the plugs! It always takes me a while to find it.
    Fitch make your own library.

Mystery

What is adaptive degradation? There is a check box in Vector Viewss section of the Appearance catagory in Preferences window, but is not mentioned in Help files or shown in view of categorys shown in Help.....
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Oh, Thats right, now I remember

A system to permit a designer to select the minimum scene refresh rate or animation redraw rate acceptable by the designer. The system also incorporates a selection of presentation methods for the three-dimensional objects in a scene, arranged in decreasing fidelity, and consequently in computational complexity, as fall back positions for the general rendering technique. Using the designer's selected refresh rate as a target, the system attempts to use the highest quality rendering technique selected by the designer. If the computational complexity of the scene causes the refresh rate of the scene to fall below the minimum acceptable level selected by the designer, the system selects the next lower rendering option selected by the designer, thus degrading the presentation quality of the scene and simultaneously reducing the computational complexity of the task.
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    I put my joist directions in. I put in any bearing lines. I put my beams in. I adjust beam heights for flush framed or whatever. I set my defaults, define the framing for my roofs, window groups for single hole... I put the fire in the hole and I get lovely framing. There's usually a bit of tweaking, but not a lot, and I'm good to go. Oh - I do usually end up doing a single tweak to my roof heights and rebuilding framing - to get my birdsmouth depth exactly what I want for all my weird steep roofs and such.
    Almost all of my homes with very little exception are i-joist homes which CA just doesn't do very easy. The rimboard is 1" while the joists are 2 1/2 and I shaped not rectangular. I just auto build the floor system with the joist OC set at 96" (can't make it any larger) and then delete all floor joists leaving just the rim board which I make all solid fill. Then I add all the joists / beams. I wish it were like yours with minor tweaking but such is not the case....sigh....

Fitch,

We fixed the electrical connection issues in X1.2 that we know of and put in code to correct the problems on load from previous X1 versions.

One tip is to use advanced spline handles when editing the spline based electrical connections.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Ok, so in order to start a wall for a building at 0,0 should I create a profile plan with a point marker like this at 0.0?
    And then every time I start a plan, start drawing my walls at this marked point?
    Thats exactly right. I find putting the origin here more usefull for joist abd roof layout than wall layout. I don't do actual joist layouts as they are done by the i-joist supplier but I like to know where they are landing. For that I can set my ref gid to 16 or 19.2 to quickly show me where they will land. (ref grid starts at 0,0) I can also change ref grid to 24 to see where roof trusses will land. I also go one step farther on the template (back corner at 0,0) and have 4 walls drawn on my template then just manipulate them to my desired footprint. I don't even select wall mode, just use same wall type and break wall. Another feature of the origin in this spot is that I'm able to add a printable ref grid to my plans (exterior room p-line,cross hatch fill at 12" spacing) which adds a graph paper effect. BTW fills also start at the origin (0,0).
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Ok so now I have this: see below.
    It is a regular plan with grid set to 1" and 12" with the siding 6 wall set at the main wall layer being on the origin point.
    Is this the way you setup your profile plan?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zero-zero point w-wall.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	15695  
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

One quick note about the framing reference marker,,,

The first joist/rafter auto placed by the program is places face to face,,,,, not outside to center. If you wish to have the first member placed 16” OC from an exterior wall,,,, for 2x stock, the marker need to be ¾” away from the outside wall. This will produce the real world layout (that is cape cod real world) J

Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

One quick note about the framing reference marker,,,

The first joist/rafter auto placed by the program is places face to face,,,,, not outside to center. If you wish to have the first member placed 16” OC from an exterior wall,,,, for 2x stock, the marker need to be ¾” away from the outside wall. This will produce the real world layout (that is cape cod real world) J
    Ray,when I need a framing ref I put it on the outside of the framing layer. The first joist is measured from that ref to the center of the joist. Now in the case of replicating a 2x joist or truss you must push it out that 3/4" like you say.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    Fitch,

We fixed the electrical connection issues in X1.2 that we know of and put in code to correct the problems on load from previous X1 versions.

One tip is to use advanced spline handles when editing the spline based electrical connections.
    Thanks Doug. I'll be "wiring" another house plan next week. I'll give it a bit of a wringing out.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Another Chapter - hatches

Still gathering all the tips in one place...

These apply to both Chief 10 & Chief X1:

Autocad Hatches:

http://chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=27636

Additional Chief Hatches:

http://chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=21847

(thanks to Tim)
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

If I ever find myself young, stupid and pregnant, driving a 1987 Chevy, with a dog clamped to my ass on my way home to a trailer with no heat, I'll know exactly what not to do.
    Ooooohhhh..... That describes sooooo many people around where I live...
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

bump - newbies still getting the herky-jerkies
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

If you guys get a Tips and Tricks thread going that stays on topic, I can see about getting it stickied.
    Jeff Moyer
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect