Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top Tips for X1

Question That was Louis

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Yes - let's talk about Louis in that dress some more..
    Oh boy ---- not sure I want to play golf with that................

Got it1

The program builds automatic framing starting from the 0,0 point, so if your building corner is away from that point, the 16" o.c. layout will apear to start at an odd or random place in your wall, but it's starting at 0,0 and doing spacing from there, unless you have inserted a new framing reference marker at your building corner.

Thanks,
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Wow, I thought this thread was going to be "Top Tips for X1", not how to make a fashion statement . That's a good look for you Louis , now we know Katy doesn't have anything to worry about. Wendy, you've got to have the record for hijacking one's own thread .

I guess once in awhile there has to be a little levity introduced to break up the day to day crud. Maybe I'm just jealous because I can't come up with something clever, Good job.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Dangalanga! Do they keep track of most posts in a given period of time? This might win the PostOlympics.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

The program builds automatic framing starting from the 0,0 point, so if your building corner is away from that point, the 16" o.c. layout will apear to start at an odd or random place in your wall, but it's starting at 0,0 and doing spacing from there, unless you have inserted a new framing reference marker at your building corner.

Thanks,
    Wendy, this was what Mr. Louis was talking about. Normally the first stud/joist is say 16" from the outside of a wall. Without a ref marker (at a particular wall) the program will layout from 0,0. You then have the first joist at maybe 9". This isn't too critical since the framer will do that regardless, but its nice to have the joist layouts as they will be ...so you can see how many of them will be directly under toilets (usually all) I also like having my building corner at 0,0 because sometimes I place objects using absolute co-ordinates...making the numbers less obscure (If I want a col 8' from the corner just enter "move 8' in x direction in trans/replicate. ) Well I hope you don't mind me babbling...
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Rob,

Yep - get it now. I've never gotten quite that specific in my plans. The only time I show framing elevations is to explain some posting and transfer beams. When I leave goofy framing the builders are probably laughing - but I've always assumed they were big boys and were going to use their own brains.

Since it never bothered me much, I never asked how to make it do it right. Now I know - and I might just look a widdle bit thmarta in front of the boys.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Ok, so in order to start a wall for a building at 0,0 should I create a profile plan with a point marker like this at 0.0?
    And then every time I start a plan, start drawing my walls at this marked point?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zero-zero point.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	15672  
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Jim,

I'm thinkin' we ought to run some little tests and find out - but that sounds like what he's talking about.

I have to play with it. The first 16" is different on every wall. Maybe you can have more than one of these? I feel some experimenting coming on. The only time something like this has bothered me is when it gives me dumb looking roof framing - with two sides of the same gable roof not matching. I have to see if this works on that, so I can eliminate some of the manual edits.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

The first 16" is different on every wall.

Good point. Even if you start your building corner at 0,0, there will be other walls that the spacing will be off. Every wall would have to have it's own framing reference...would get to be a lot of work. Oh well I have never shown studs in plan view anyway.

And no need to have 0,0 in a profile plan it is easy enough to set it with the imput point function. Interesting that too far from 0,0 causes weird 3-D drawings, is it really too much math? or what?
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Well I'll say this in my other cad program there is a default origin point on the drawing screen and we usually start our timber frame drawings at this point...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zero-zero point - 2.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	15674  
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

I just got X1 yesterday thought I would read this thread for some tips.
    Well

Boy - you sure did get some tips, eh?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Now I know what a Chief Guru looks like

Sometimes we get more than we bargained for in these threads (pardon the pun).
    ggodwin

Electrical tips?

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    George,

I also feel this is a great upgrade. It still needs some tweaking, but I chose to use it over 10 with every new project. I was a bit concerned that my other thread be construed otherwise, when that was not my intent, hence this new thread.
    Do you have any tips for the electrical plan issues?

What I've been doing to live with it:

1) I do all the connecting lines (Wiring) with smooth curves - it's faster than fixing the attention deficit automatic connecting lines.

2) I use the library switches (single pole, 3 way, 4 way) to compensate for the automatic features not working or working erratically.

3) I created my own symbols to use in attics.

Fitch

PS: I wish they would take the food disposal outlet symbol out of "switches" and put it in with the rest of the plugs! It always takes me a while to find it.

frw
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.