ancom is offline Registered User Promoted

Printer suggestions

This may not be the place to ask this question but I'm Looking for a printer that can handle 11x17 paper for smaller plans and kitchen layouts. It would be nice if it could handle an occasional photo quality print.

Any Suggestions?

Epson Stylus Color 1520 is very productive and reliable. The price is right too, a lot less than I paid a couple of years ago.
    Handles 11x17 in a breeze, and also 17" wide x 24" (or any length)
    However, you can only print on about 13"+ of this 17" width. That is disappointing. But I still find the 17 x 24 very useful, and use it about 50% of the time.

Mike Hall
    San Diego

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Hi

I've been using the Canon BJC 4550 for 3 years now and find its quality great for cad, graphics and photos. I'm not sure what the current model no is but I think it has a scanner option as well.

I've thought about moving up to the 5550 which will do a full A2 (23x16) inch with 12mm (1/2") borders but will not do photo quality colour. For now I print at 0.71 size and enlarge buy 1.41 on my copier which gives me the next size up with little quality loss.

Ancom,

I have the Epson 1520 and I have no complaints. I also have the Canon 4550 at home with marginal complaints. I have the newer Canon 5100 at my office and I wouldn't get another 5100 if you paid me to take it.
    One big change they made from the 4550 to the 5100 is to make 11 x 17 manual feed only. Enough said. I would strongly recommend the Epson 1520 or if you're low on funds look through the internet and find a supplier who still has the 4550 leftover thatis new for probably at or below the price of the 5100.

Jay Malaspino
    jmalasp@capecod.net www.capecod.net/cad

My vote is for the HP 1120c, fits all the attributes you named and is, in my opinion more reliable than an Epson, cheaper too.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

We have about a dozen color printers here (plotters,dye-subs,etc), and for best multi-purpose printer for 11x17 is the Epson 1520. Inexpensive for supplies also, except I wish Epson would use individual color cartridges.

I agree with David the HP 1120C I have been using mine for a year now no breakdowns, dual cartridges, rated for 13x19 allthough paper is not available except for special order, But has very good quality on 11x17 laser paper. Even in fast mode print numbers are still legible to save on ink during design. And plenty big enough to print a 60x90 floor plan at 1/8 inch scale.

ancom is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thanks for all the replys. I'm leaning towards the Epson 1200 beacaus of it's photo quality capabilities. Does any one know if you can load multiple sheets of the 11x17 paper into it or do you have to feed them one at a time ?

Andy

Clark is offline Registered User Promoted
    Yes, I just bought a 1200. I can feed multiple sheets ok. Some of the paper I got is rather cheezy and will feed poorly causing it to wrinkle and wad up. Heavier paper feeds great and the quality is outstanding. I feel that this is a better place to spend $500.00 than the 1500 series, because of the photo capabilities. I bought some Kodak photo paper and am somewhat disspointed in the quality of it compared to the Epson paper samples that came with the printer.