Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not that I want this topic to go on and on, I have noticed this behavior when I go back to the first floor after building the foundation. I think it is a bug but I do not know if the walls actually move - gosh I hope they don't. By changing the main back the dimensions relolve themselves.

I think I will experiment more.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Dan,

I took your plan, deleted the foundation, set the main layer to 1/2" sheathing, set the General Wall Defaults to resize about Wall Center. Generated the Foundation, then set the main layer back to the framing layer and generated the framing. You might check to see if it's anywhere close.

New4-GlenGaryFoundTest.zip
    Last edited by ambrozac; 06-11-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

So, by changing the main layer the wall resizes? Ouch, that can't be good.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Quote Originally Posted by zoome
    So, by changing the main layer the wall resizes? Ouch, that can't be good.

Zoome
    Yes, the wall ACTUALLY MOVES. It definitely isn't good.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

So much for walls not moving.

It appears too. You might check by drawing 4 walls, dimensioning, open the wall and change the main layer. I had only noticed this, while working on your foundation type. Then again, I could be looking at this wrong. I'm not usually in a situation that requires changing the main layer.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

I don't believe the walls will move, if the General Wall Defaults are set to "Wall Center". It's just that I have always been in the habit of resize about outside main layer. I may need to redo my thinking. I've probably been going about this wrong.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

This is a very interesting discussion (and a bit confusing) but I'm not really sure there is a bug here. Yes it does not work as ver 10 but maybe we just got away with that "main layer workaround" in 10. Changing the main layer after a plan has been started is a bit like doing a heart transplant and putting it back on the wrong side. Its a bit of a gamble. I took 4 walls 36' x 24' dimensioned to sheathing. The main layer (framing) is now 35'11". Then changed the main layer to the sheathing and redimensioned. The main layer (which is now the sheathing) is 35'11" so really the "main" layer didnot change. I told you this was confusing.
    In any case I think If I were wanting to dim to sheathing and build foundation to sheathing I would just make the sheathing layer 0 thickness.(enter .00001)
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

I get it. The complaint is not with how a foundation builds under the wall. You can indeed get it to build correctly. If I understand correctly, your complaint is with how a wall resizes when you change it's definition.

I agree that there should be a way for dimensions to stay where they were put, and to change the wall definition without it "resizing about".

I personally love the new Resize About feature for other reasons, but this is certainly a disagreeable side effect.

Now that I see what you're talking about, I think this is a bug. If you change a wall type definition and it doesn't change size, it shouldn't Resize About anything. This is wall movement when not requested. The whole reprogramming of walls was to deal with walls moving when not requested. Oops.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Rob,

While I can see a bit of your logic, I think the issue is that for already-placed walls that do not change overall thickness, the DIMENSIONS should be the thing that adjusts, not the wall locations. Otherwise, you have a situation where walls are changing dimensions behind the user's back, with no visual clue (except maybe the future papers from the lawsuit).
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

I think the issue is that for already-placed walls that do not change overall thickness, the DIMENSIONS should be the thing that adjusts, not the wall locations.
    That seems like good logic Richard. In my case I had "resize about main layer" checked. Since I changed location of my main layer I would expect the wall position to change. Now I believe if "resize about outer surface" was checked then everything should stay put. I tried to check this but I couldn't seem to dim to the sheathing layer any more. Maybe i wore it out.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

My own view is that the "resize about" should simply indicate the point from where walls grow or shrink. However, regardless of whether they grow or shrink, they certainly shouldn't MOVE!
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison
    My own view is that the "resize about" should simply indicate the point from where walls grow or shrink. However, regardless of whether they grow or shrink, they certainly shouldn't MOVE!
    I agree. It was surprising when they did move. It seems that resize about Wall Center is the only one not moving.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Maybe you need to be in Wall Center mode before you change a wall's main layer. However, I believe it will reverse itself, when the main layer is changed back. But, if you make a permanent change, then you probably need to make a new wall type. Need to think about this some more.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Wendy Wrote:
    I get it. The complaint is not with how a foundation builds under the wall. You can indeed get it to build correctly. If I understand correctly, your complaint is with how a wall resizes when you change it's definition.
    I guess this is true. Originally I thought the build foundation had a glitch in it when compared to Ver10. Now it seems that the changes are due to my first floor walls moving due to my resize about settings.

1. I would change my main layer to the 1/2" sheathing (which moved my walls in by 1/2")
    2. I would build my foundation - which actually built to where they did in Ver10 but that location was changed by the walls moving.

Now, I guess I need to change my resize about settings to get things to work as they did in 10.

Thanks,

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?