Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding up X1

Speeding up X1

From another forum, wanted to pass along. Likely not news to everyone, but just as likely will help someone as it did me.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    Ever since I started running X1, the program has been quite slow. For example, as I move my mouse around the screen in plan mode, my cross-hairs lag behind my cursor substantially. It is not so bad in vector full overview, if moving my mouse around with "move camera with mouse" is selected, there's not much delay. Just generally working in X1 seems to be quite slower than 10.

I am running a Sony VIAO with 1 Gig ram. Would bumping that to 2 Gig fix it? I rather know for sure before spending the $80.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    I just got a huge improvement; I went into preferences>general, and removed the check mark next to double buffer drawing. I know this has probably been mentioned before, but the first time I have done it.

My next question is, what is double buffer drawing, and what am I missing out on when it's not checked? If it is an option, there must be a reason.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Double Buffer drawing means the image is drawn off screen then the whole image is pasted to screen. When you turn this off you get more flickering.

We would also like to see if the machines being affected can be fixed by lowering hardware accelleration by one notch. We cannot reproduce this problem in house but know that a hand full of users are experiencing this issue.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

can be fixed by lowering hardware accelleration by one notch
    Dan, I'd be happy to give it a try, can you give me some instruction on how to?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Right click your desktop and choose properties. I think it's the settings tab on the properties dialog that has an advanced option. In the advanced settings go to troubleshoot and there is a hardware accelleration slider. Move it down a notch at a time and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

I have tried the two different hardware settings, with and without double buffering checked, and can't seem to visually notice a difference. However, just unchecking the double buffering made a substantial difference. In refreshing elevation views, I could see a difference in the way it redrew, (double buffering did it all in the background, then displayed the elevation all at once...unchecked drew it on screen one panel at a time) but the time frame seemed to be identical.

I believe I will leave it unchecked, and hardware acceleration down a notch, and consider it improved.

Good luck Louis
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Possible Graphic Card issue?
    John Britton AIA/CEA,CEPE

Is this related to the fact that the orbit camera tool in vector views is essentially useless once you have any detailing in the plan. For example, the Riverstone sample plan recalculates repeatedly as the program tries to rotate the model. Does this do this for everyone? If so, I am amazed it was released with this tool for it might as well be a crash because you can only stop it by pressing ESC. Otherwise, you could sit there forever watching it recalculate as it tries to move.
    Intel i7 920 O.C. 3.35ghz
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    MSI Geforce 260GTX 896 O.C.
    6 GB RAM; WD 300GB Velociraptor
    Vista Business 64 bit SP2
    X2

GPICKREN, you are correct with that. Too slow.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Glen,

When I open that plan, go to vector full overview, and rotate with mouse, it takes 7 seconds per view. Definitely not fast enough, but not what I would call crash mode, and I don't run into the problem of having to hit escape to stop it.

If I go to low detail, it is just under 1 second per redraw.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Allen, how much did you rotate the view? Try rotating it 90 or 180 degrees so you can view another side and tell me how long before the model is finished rotating.
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    X2

Glen,

What method are you using to rotate 90 deg or 180 deg at once?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Back with ver 9.x if you held the ctrl key or shift key, I don't remember which, then Chief would hold off doing the rendering until the moving was completed ?

HTH

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Allen, I opened the plan and selected the full overview vector camera and an image was generated in about the time you describe. The mouse pointer is now showing the camera orbit symbol. Now, left click on the right side of the image and try to drag it to the left to rotate the vector image to where the right side faces the front and see what happens.
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    X2

My computer, Riverstone plan, X1, Vector full overview, hold shift button down, hit right arrow 18 times, let up shift button, plan will rotate 180 degrees, takes about 7 seconds once I let go of the shift.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

OK Glen, now I see what's going on. If you do that exact thing, and let go of the mouse, it will continue to spin indefinitely. If you do that, but keep the left mouse button held down until the model stops, it will regen 2-3 times until it catches up with your mouse, then stop, at 6-7 seconds per re-draw (for me).
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com