Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What they are asking for off their Checklist.

For those Kiwis here it is "Thames Coromandel District Council"

Fixtures (if the building has plumbing fixtures on an upper
    level, provide layout drawing showing wastes, pipes and
    falls, eg, an isometric layout).

I've always done it on a 2d plumbing and drainage plan as well. But this plan is a second story addition with bath rooms upstairs. Problem is thare is no records of what is there already.
    I can see it being a complete waiste of time and paper. Especially when the plumber starts moaning at the client because he thinks he can do it cheaper his way. Or just does it a slightly different way and I than have to hassle him for an asbuilt to redraw and resubmit the plans!!

I've submitted the plans as I normally do without it. But was just doing some reasearch via this forum so I could suss out in my head how its done if I get asked.

Thanks for your input looks like I was correct and Chief won't generate one. I knew this there's no plumbing layer anyway.
    I'll do the 2d Cad line drawing. Thanks john it was great for you to take the time to submit a sample. Doesn't look like it will take long to do that anyway.

I quite like the one attached and should be able to do it in 2d ok. I just need to draw the symbols. But I'll probably do it johns way. looks quick and easy.

Thanks a bunch guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEP_WALLACH.jpg 
Views:	3435 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	14439  
    Regards Rick
    Building Design & Construction Ltd
    Auckland-New Zealand
    09 5357798

Chief X4-Vista Business

Core i7 920 2.67GHz o/c to 3.6GHz
    Asus P6T DDR3 1333MHz
    Patriot Viper 6gig DDR3-2000
    2 x GTX275 896mb PCI-e

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    John:

Thanks, those will be helpful.

I may include 2D and 3D in the permit sets just to get the building depts thinking moved up into the 21st century

Lew
    Good grief Lew, why put 3D plumbing in your plans? Why would anyone require 3D plumbing diagrams for a residence? I can understand a 2D schematic diagram showing sizes and vents to comply with code, but not 3D.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Fitch:

Perhaps "graphical" is a better word than 3D.

See the pics I posted in this thread:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ighlight=riser

Or the pic that Rick posted above, that I had posted from
    the Wallach book some threads ago.

I am a visual person and I like these graphics better than the old
    traditional way.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

New Zealand councils getting beyond a joke for information being required - all due to leaky homes.

We (designers) now have to be plumbers in specifying waste sizes, pipe falls, whether it all works from upper floors.

In the past I have clearly shown pipes on upper floors marked on the joist plan to show they fall within the cavitys of the floor systems. On a couple of latest jobs I have used geo pipe shapes and modelled them into 3d with framing being shown and fixtures being shown, joints are a bit rough. Then I either handwrite or type falls and waste sizes on print. This seems to have kept council happy.

If someone has an easier idea would be great

Can show picture if someone tells me how to insert.

Cheers

to insert a pic use a ,jpg and click on manage attachments at bottom of posting dbx

max size is 100 KB, use paint program to crop or resize

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Fitch:

Perhaps "graphical" is a better word than 3D.
    Graphical is definitely a better word.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

It's a simple process once you get over thinking it's going to be difficult. You should meet with a plumber to get correct line sizes. After that it's a walk in the park.

I've attached an isometric water and gas plan that I just finished and submitted for a commercial project. It even passed.

There is a pdf in the zip that I googled for you and should help you out for the drains and vents. Basically it's the same as water. You don't have to get too detailed as they will most likely just look to see it's there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim - Houston, TX
    X5

Trouble is, its is just another of those things our Paranoid councils want --

So they have a piece of paper, so than can say they have a piece of paper, so that if anything goes wrong they can say they have a piece of paper and its not their fault or they can say its not done as per the piece of paper and its not their fault or the peice of paper is wrong (even though they have approved it) and its the designers fault.

Hope you can follow that!! That was fun to write!

Its is getting rediculous over here. We have a national building code yet every council has completetly different requirements for lodgment. Even though they are only a 3/4 hours drive away from each other. Surely if we have a National building code we should be lodging the same sets of plans to the same scales etc to every council.

Wonder if its that bad in your city!!
    Regards Rick
    Building Design & Construction Ltd
    Auckland-New Zealand
    09 5357798

Chief X4-Vista Business

Core i7 920 2.67GHz o/c to 3.6GHz
    Asus P6T DDR3 1333MHz
    Patriot Viper 6gig DDR3-2000
    2 x GTX275 896mb PCI-e

Quote Originally Posted by frwillia
    Graphical is definitely a better word.

Fitch
    how about Gratutious?

And its not just the iso schematic drawing they want,

just had a council want connection details (drawings) of items such as bottom plate fixings, lintel strap fixings and connection types, truss fixings, roof bracing fixings - all to be hightlighted and shown on the drawings.

As said all of these details are in our national code and of which builders have on site (or should have).

Next we will have to supply exact nailling postsions.

Attachment 14469

I have inspectors who look for nailing patterns as specified.

Talking

3d image (got it working)

I either pirnt of image and scribble falls and pipe sizes on sheet, a bit rough but keeps the council happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powlesbath.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	14499  

Nice

This is what I hope CA will make available so that it is as easy to place the plumbing as it is the electrical plan. Same for HVAC

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

tezw1 is offline Registered User Promoted
    Rick,
    I belive the council is wants to understand which system you want to use on the sewer - ie G13 or NZS/AS 3500 (and which system out of NZS/AS 3500), the way that pipes run on site are better shown in 2d
    The line drawing system seems to work fine in getting things approved
    The drawing that you have attached follows G13, however I belive that a Plumber would more likely use a system out of 3500, not sure which one.
    Branz had a resonable seminer on the subject last year. Afterwards I went to a local plumber I deal with a lot, sat down and went through some of the issuses. Now if I have a comlicated plan he's just a phone call away.

Zacabbey and others
    I have sketch detailed the Mitek system of Lintel and plate hold-downs. I just place them on a layout sheet with a floor plan showing where the fixings are required. If you want a copy for v10 just email me.
    The more you show the builder what to do the less liability that can fall on you if they don't do it right.
    Terry Wing

Councils intially wanted schematic drawing of upper floors so it could be proved that large pipes where not being cut into joists and making them useless. Now they want us to make sure the system will flow as well.

With the Mitek details - I do the same, have put their details into a3 sheets and have them attached to plans.