Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Another one who buys "brain surgery for idiots" and thinks he's going to cure himself.

If you can't produce a professional looking set of drawings entirely within Chief Architect you should stop drawing with any CAD program and go back to using your drafting board.

Now wait a minute Jay, What are you trying to say?? I'm no "brain surgeon", and not only can I draw complete sets of prints with Chief, I make a very nice living doing it:mad: ...Oh...Wait a minute...That is what you're saying

Yes, there is a learning curve to the program, but if anyone wants to take the time to learn it, it can be a great program. Does everything work exactly the way I think or wish it should? No. But you know what? I'm not smart enough to write a program like this, but I'm pretty happy with the guys who did!

If you want to improve/change the program, log on to the "suggestions" forum and tell the software engineers what you think needs changed. They listen to us and take our concerns seriously.
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 04-24-2007 at 04:13 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    Now wait a minute Jay, What are you trying to say?? I'm no "brain surgeon", and not only can I draw complete sets of prints with Chief, I make a very nice living doing it:mad: ...Oh...Wait a minute...That is what you're saying

Yes, there is a learning curve to the program, but if anyone wants to take the time to learn it, it can be a great program. Does everything work exactly the way I think or wish it should? No. But you know what? I'm not smart enough to write a program like this, but I'm pretty happy with the guys who did!

If you want to improve/change the program, log on to the "suggestions" forum and tell the software engineers what you think needs changed. They listen to us and take our concerns seriously.
    NO, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the originator of this post. What I meant about the brain surgeon crack was here was another person who buys something and expects to be an expert at it overnight.

I draw home plans entirely in CA and have done so for 10 years. I've got over 24,000 hours into it. It does what I need and I don't use any other program except Solarcad and I only use that to create the sunroom that I then export in CA.

Does this mean you have a license for sale?

And BTW...I completed college, a very fine school of architecture and design, and have been trained in, and have used, some of the "other" professional CAD programs, and Chief is the best, most effective tool I have for residential design, just my opinion.....but that opinion is backed by 16 years of drafting and design work.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Jay, My response was entirely sarcastic, and an attempt at humor

I knew you weren't responding to me, You're post was correct, and I was just agreeing with you

Hey joey, Any chance you'll be driving down for the users meeting tomorrow?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Seems as if some folks need to look at what a real professional CAD enviroment is like,
    A large number of Chiefers come from the AutoCAD etc. environment and know what the alternatives are. Chief takes time and patience to learn. Some of your comments reflect a lack of patience and insufficient time and effort in learning the tools that are available in Chief. Having used AutoCAD since the mid-1980s and 3dsMAX over several years, I believe that Chief is well worth the effort and the patience required to learn it.
    ggodwin

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    Jay, My response was entirely sarcastic, and an attempt at humor

I knew you weren't responding to me, You're post was correct, and I was just agreeing with you

Hey joey, Any chance you'll be driving down for the users meeting tomorrow?

I kind of thought so with the smiley face but I wanted to nip it in the bud for others not quite so familiar with us.

j

Allen, email the details to joey@martindraftinganddesign.com.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joey3032
    Allen, email the details to joey@martindraftinganddesign.com.
    Email Sent.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Trade, why would you dimension in Layout, we normally dimension a live elevation view, maybe I don't understand.

did you figure out the break line tool? it is somewhat difficult to get it to work after using acad for so long, that is the hardest part of learning this program is getting untrained from acad and what makes it harder is I still use it.

try to get along here, its a great bunch of guys and girls that really do try and help, if you can;t do that, get the **** out!

Like learning ANY program I believe new CAD programs should be learned as if you've never learned a CAD program before. Dont bring bad habits from another environment to the current environment. The only advantage to knowing previous CAD programs (if you actually know them, and not just play with them) is you may be familiar with what you want out of a program and know what you don't want. You need to figure out the tricks to get what you want and ask the right question to get the answer your looking for.
    Datacad, Autocad, Archicad and Chief Architect 10.08

[COLOR="black"]Scott Peet[/COLOR]
    M.B. Builders, Inc.
    Hayden, Idaho

Tradewinds63,

Chief does sometimes seem a treasure hunt but over time you CAN get efficient with it... If Scott and I can, surely you can..
    Rashid Garuba
    http://www.aaihomeplans.com

Datacad 11

There are some unwritten forum rules that everyone needs to abide by here:

1) The forum is provided as a way to assist everyone with sharing information about how to use Chief Architect and how to be more efficient with the software.

2) We don't typically moderate posts that have negative comments about the program but it is our forum and we will moderate it if the user becomes abusive or the posts are not beneficial to other users. If you want to simply bad mouth the produt there are plenty of other forums out there you can go to.

3) Everyone is civil with each other and we are here to help each other make the most out of the software. We understand other users can get frustrated when there are deadlines and sometimes our posts might be missinterpreted.

Rest assured that we will ban users from this forum if their posts are not in the best interest of the group.

Our goal here is to make this forum a useful tool for our users - if we can't keep it that way there is no point in having it at all.

Thanks
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Thanks Dan. I have been a member for years and ART has come a long way in allowing negative comments, which I think is right and proper. BUT, Tradewinds seemed to either think that a program that doesn't "think" the way he does is inferior OR he is just an enemy spy!

Now, let's all get happy!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Well, I guess now, I won't respond with what I was going to say,:mad: but it DOES take time to learn this program and is very good once you do learn how to use it. As with all programs, EVEN ACAD, they have to improve it from time to time. I can't imagine anyone using Chief or ACAD for a few months and know everything about the program. I'll stop here and be nice.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)