Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dimensions and Elevations... really dissapointed again.

Are there no SCALABLE dimension tools available in elevation layout drawings? Looks like I have to plug them all in manually via basic text and cad lines... that's not what I would expect of such a program. With all the automated tools, I'm really dissapointed with this missing attribute. Just another proof of the rag tag linking of odd ball program enviroments.

Good thing I don't have a huge facade detail to call out... my my this is really, really bad. Even if it does do such dimensions, the fact it can't be quickly found and utilized by a regular joe is just as bad.

This is not a user freindly program, infact it's not even technique uniform in its countless mode (sub program) configurations.

I'm not impressed with this program anymore, not my a long shot, I'm really dissapointed. Seems as if some folks need to look at what a real professional CAD enviroment is like, I would recomend that the Chief program enviroment programers learn CATIA or some other professional CAD program. This is down right dissapointing. UNIFORM ENVIROMENTS are the key to professional CAD programs. There is nothing uniform within Chief Architect!

To edit a wall you have to click on a special wall edit tool and are limited to what attributes can be altered. To edit a post within a wall you use a different mode, again, limited with respect to the editing attributes. If I got a nickle for every differing mode I had to enter to edit what is esentially the same thing... I could buy a tank of gas for my 1 ton TRUCK! This program really ***** and is a poor example of professional CAD enviroments.

Could have used some 39 dollar program and been finished with these prints by now.

Not to mention all the dumb things such as a so called "break tool" in the cad edit mode which is not at all a "break tool" its a "joint tool". A "break tool" devides a line segment into two individual lines in which each created end at the created "BREAK" is independent and the two newly formed ends can be independently selected and moved away from one another.
    A joint tool on the other hand places a joint in which the joint can be selected and draged into a new location taking both ends of two new line segments to the same location. Chief has no true line "break tool" in cad mode, nodda! I've found that to be a real pain in the backside on many occasions.

I have a list of greenhorn faults with Chief a mile long!

Well, Chief certainly DOES have the break tool you are talking about.
    Why would you want a scalable dimension tool for elevations when everything is drawn full size? There are no problems placing dimensions on elevations.

Due to your attitude, I am not going to offer any assistance to you, except to advise you to RTFM.

Is someone forcing you to use Chief? There are plenty of other programs out there to choose from.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

double left click the break tool and it breaks the cad line in two.
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

Thanks for the info, a hidden in text somewhere isolated attribute.
    There again... something hidden, how many other tools (remeber, uniform enviroments) respond the same way? I'm really getting sick of all these hidden or study more attributes of the system.

Why do I have the program... because I bought it, full version 10 with all the bells and whistles and I'm peaved because I shelled out a butt load of money for a very archaic enviroment.

As per dimensions on an elevation drawing? Why do I need it? Is that some sort of JOKE? What sort of things are you designing over there, spec homes?
    Ask the city why they need to know the elevation of the structure, then ask the carpenter why he needs to know all the front detail dimensions...
    For f sakes!

Keeping true to form, you didn't read my reply properly, you shot your mouth off with a lot of dribble.
    I didn't ask why you need dimensions on elevations, I asked why you need SCALABLE dimensions.
    You obviously have no concept of how to learn to use a program in the correct manner, I'm not going to help you.
    I am surprised that anyone else did help - they are a lot more charitable than myself.

Oh yeah, the help for Break is hidden in the help file under..........ah....ah,...oh yeah, Break Line.
    Ha, ha, where else would it be. You are an imbecile.

That's it for me.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 04-24-2007 at 01:49 AM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

OHHHHH, now I find the answer to my own question, I should have guessed another clandestine environment is in order... LOL create a CAD 2d file! LOL then you can use the dimension tools LOL> This is nuts!
    What other specialty environment lurks around the corner?
    It's there, somewhere hidden in another mode. LOL
    Then you transfer the CAD 2D file to the layout!
    LOL this is too funny! I remembered that ole CAD 2d (a very brief description about it) from about 15 hours back in the “tutorial”!

Glen... get a life.

As per reading comprehension skills and I quote
    "Are there no SCALABLE dimension tools..."
    I never expressed I needed "scalable dimensions", so "true to form" your own form, you still don't comprehend the nature of the original question because you're to busy crying about an attutude conjured in your own mind.

Every time you post the hole just gets bigger.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

LOL yeah, OK "Glenn".
    Have a nice evening.

Chief Architect will give you a 100% refund if you haven't had the program long.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

90 day return policy.
    This forum is set up to help each other and learn.
    Trade,if you just post to complain,it does no one any good..
    CA takes time to learn.
    Glen has been here a long time and is respected..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

This program really ***** and is a poor example of professional CAD enviroments.

Could have used some 39 dollar program and been finished with these prints by now.

I suggest you do so as I won't bother to try to help you either

Bye.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I don't think CA paid him to start this thread
    This is a very friendly forum if you are the same....
    I would hate to see it become clicky like some others..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4