Mike is offline Registered User Promoted

Roof information appearing in plan

I have been working on a 2 storey house and already had built roofs. I then changed the 1 st foor (upper floor) ceiling height and then built roofs again. After this some strange things have come onto the plan that I can't get rid of. A " 22." has come over all the external walls, my roof pitch is 22 and a "90.V has come up also. I have tried turing off any thing with a dark blue colour but this doesn't seem to work. Probably something simple but its got me.

regards,

Mike

Grant is offline Registered User Promoted
    Mike, I may be totally wrong on this, but I seem to remember having a similar problem myself about 8 months ago.

From what I can remember the 90V designates a 90 degree vertical part of the roof. The 22 reflects as you said the 22 pitch.

I found on my plan that I have a part of the roof that did not fit properly over the underlaying wall, and some of the roof pitches were incorrect.

To correct the problem I went back and manually checked the roof planes to make sure everything joined up correctly, and also check the roof pitches.

As I said, I am working from memory and it was awhile back. Hopefully someone else will post a reply as well. In the meantime, check your roof pitches on each plane, and make sure the roof plane sits over the wall properly.

Grant

Hi Mike,

Try turning off layer 15. That may do the trick.
    Paul Griger
    Project Design
    Professional Building Designer, AIBD

Mike is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thanks Paul and Grant for your quick reply's. Turning off layer 15 did the trick. I have no name for layer 15 and the colour is black, I wonder why it happened. Thanks again.!!!

regards,

Mike

Paul, I have layer 15 turned on and nothing appears.

What would cause this information to end up on layer 15.

Thanks, Grant

Layer 15 is for the roof baseline...when you rebuilt the roof you apparently checked this box in the build roof dbx..if you edit your walls and do not rebuild the roof baseline.. the roofs will simply rebuild as they were before....by turning it off you will not see it once you move a wall, as it sits right on top of the main layer line, and you may wonder why your roofs will not rebuild to the new wall configuration...if you turn it back on you will notice it as a dashed line in window openings....you can simply delete it if you want, by either selecting it and deleting or going to Edit\Delete items>check all floors, then check roof generation lines...

you can turn off the text only for the roof baseline by selecting it, opening it's dbx and ...to select it, click the build roof icon, then click on the outside edge of a wall. The baseline when selected will have handles in the middle of each wall, at each corner, a move handle in the middle of the plan, as well as rotate handle on the bottom...after selecting it and opening the dbx, click style and uncheck the show roof info box...

The roof baseline is useful when you want different roof pitches on different walls, different wall heights for a room, building gambrel roofs...or you want the roof to extend outside of a wall area...you can edit the baseline as you would any CAD p-line to reshape it and drag it around...click on a wall then open the dbx for the baseline, click the roof info button and you can specify differvalues for that wall only...edit the other walls as you desire....
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 10-26-2001 at 05:29 PM.

Originally posted by Tim O'Donnell
    you can turn off the text only for the roof baseline by selecting it, opening it's dbx and ...to select it, click the build roof icon, then click on the outside edge of a wall. The baseline when selected will have handles in the middle of each wall, at each corner, a move handle in the middle of the plan, as well as rotate handle on the bottom...after selecting it and opening the dbx, click style and uncheck the show roof info box...

.you can edit the baseline as you would any CAD p-line to reshape it and drag it around.......

Well, this is news to me, I have never been able to edit the roof base line as a cad item. when ever I find the roof base line in the wrong spot, I select the roof polyline and move the lot. Which means that I have to fix the roof surface again.
    Now I will just have to find out why some people can select the roof base line and not me. (that's besides me being dopey at times)

regards, Jan
    Jan Bruinsma
    Building Designer Extraordinaire

Make sure you click the select roof icon, then click on the outside of the main layer, this should get you the baseline...you need to have built the baseline first, to be able to select it, not simply built the roofs, as chief uses the outside of the main layer in that instance and there is not a separate baseline to edit.....

Tim, thanks for the tip on layer 15.

I have used the build polyline for the baseline before, but never knew it could be turned on and off using layer 15.

Well done.

Grant

Jan,

If you can't select the roof Baseline make sure that Layer 15 is not locked.

Or...do you really have a Baseline drawn - as distinct from a base_line?

To generate a Baseline you need to check "Make New Roof Baselines" in the Roof dbx. This generates an editable Baseline (polyline) that contains the roof info for every roof plane. This Baseline ends up on Layer 15.

This is distinct from the auto generated base_line that you get when "Make New Roof Baselines" is left unchecked. These base_lines end up on layer 8 - Roof and Gable lines. These are not editable and are the same ones that you use for a manually drawn roof plane when you drag the base_line and then indicate the upslope direction.

They are 2 different beasts - and I think this causes confusion with some users.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

animals and beasts, no wonder I can not select them.
    Glenn, I thank you, I thought it was all that nappie changing that clouded my brain.
    One day I'll check out this Baseline, so far only used Base_line.
    Regards, Jan
    Jan Bruinsma
    Building Designer Extraordinaire