Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Kevin,

In the plan you sent me the layer was not on in the layout. You must select the view port and then go to the edit tool bar at the bottom and open the layer display box there and turn text on.

The reason this works this way is because there is no layer control from the main plan view (without doing it a different way). You sent the view to layout with that layer off and then turned it on in plan, it did not show up in your layout then. Chief is designed to work this way. If you go into layout select the view port and go to the edit tool bar at the bottom and turn on the text layer it will appear.
    Last edited by louis; 04-06-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Louis thanks, I think I understand most of what your saying, I think! Let me work with it a little to absorb it a little more. I know sometimes to just back away from a plan and go back to it and things will be clearer.

Thanks Kevin

Louis, I have a simular problem. When I draw a plan and send it to the layout everything is good. Then I will doubleclick on a viewport on the plan to make changes. after a few of these I might have 10 layout sets and the plan is not connected to the orginal plan anymore. Is there a way to eliminate all the layout sets.

Perry
    P.H. Designs L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by perryh
    Louis, I have a simular problem. When I draw a plan and send it to the layout everything is good. Then I will doubleclick on a viewport on the plan to make changes. after a few of these I might have 10 layout sets and the plan is not connected to the orginal plan anymore. Is there a way to eliminate all the layout sets.

Perry
    P.H. Designs L.L.C.
    Perry, IMHO I wouldn't do what you're doing to make changes in the plan by double clicking the viewport. I normally go to the top toolbar>Window tab>select plan again. This way, your plan will definitely update in the layout. When you double click the plan in a layout, you're working in a layout set. Everytime you dbl. click a plan in the layout, you're creating a different layout set.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

*{"Everytime you dbl. click a plan in the layout, you're creating a different layout set."}

Tommy I'm trying to learn how this works. Can you explain this a little more. What is the purpose then of double clicking on the view port in layout, why would Chief send you back to a view to not work on?

Thanks Kevin

Kevin,

This is confusing.

The layout set it creates does give you layer control from plan. I do not recommend doing this. I recommend doing as Tommy suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin walker
    *{"Everytime you dbl. click a plan in the layout, you're creating a different layout set."}

Tommy I'm trying to learn how this works. Can you explain this a little more. What is the purpose then of double clicking on the view port in layout, why would Chief send you back to a view to not work on?

Thanks Kevin
    Kevin, When you're in a layout and you dbl. click on the plan, it opens that plan. However, if go to the layer options and open it, you'll see that you're working in a layout set and not the "default layerset" or whatever layerset you originally sent to layout. In otherwords, if you go to the original layerset from which you sent to the layout, it might display differently if you made changes. It is always safer to me when changing a plan to work out of the same layerset.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Louis no argument here, I had not even discovered until this thread that you could double click on the view in layout and go back to plan, but I thought Perry raised a good question. Thanks

Tommy I understood you about choosing your view to work on from plan however I have a question; do you use more than 1 layerset with that plan for sending views to layout? In other words an elevation view selected 1 time using default layer set (or what ever) for 1 view sent to layout and then another layerset, lets say framing (using the same camera) also sent to layout?

Thanks Kevin

Kevin,

What you don't know is that Tommy works for me so he will be filling you in on how we approach this.

Of course. Layersets are essential for layouts. We have a layerset for plan, different framing, electrical, mechanical, etc.. The elevation cameras are in the general plan layerset we're working with. We use a layerset named "Floor plan" for the layerset in which the plan is drawn. these different layersets are sent to the layout because we want to display different things in the layout. Layersets are realy used to display different things in a plan. When changes are made, you go back to that layerset to make the changes...not in layout layersets. When changes are made for elevations, I go back to plan and open the camera that was sent to the layout to do the changes. This way, when you close the elevation, it will ask you if you want to update to the layout.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Thanks Louis, you guys are very helpful. I need that proverbial "light" to go off on this subject for me!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Kevin,

What you don't know is that Tommy works for me so he will be filling you in on how we approach this.
    Correct, and IMHO is the best way to do things and not have problems. As we all know, Louis is one of the masters of this program and because I do things the way he has taught me, I have minimal problems.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair
    Of course. Layersets are essential for layouts. We have a layerset for plan, different framing, electrical, mechanical, etc.. The elevation cameras are in the general plan layerset we're working with. We use a layerset named "Floor plan" for the layerset in which the plan is drawn. these different layersets are sent to the layout because we want to display different things in the layout. Layersets are realy used to display different things in a plan. When changes are made, you go back to that layerset to make the changes...not in layout layersets. When changes are made for elevations, I go back to plan and open the camera that was sent to the layout to do the changes. This way, when you close the elevation, it will ask you if you want to update to the layout.

Tommy I need to work more with my layersets. I have already discovered just how powerful that option can be. I think the thing I may be the most uncertain about is the use of the camera (cross section) with the layersets. Hypothetically could you use 1 camera view (cross section) and create multiple views to be sent to layout using different layersets?

You and I pushed the reply button exactly the same time a few minutes ago while I was responding to Louis. Didn't know you together.

Thanks Kevin

Hypothetically could you use 1 camera view (cross section) and create multiple views to be sent to layout using different layersets?
    Yes you could!

Thanks Louis, so in the process of preparing for sending views to layout I could pull a cross section camera view on the front elevation and name it something and save the camera, then while that view is now being used with say "default layerset" I would send that view to layout. Then after that I go back to the same view (camera) and go to the layerset options, now choosing framing and once again send that view to lay out, continuing to go through that process as many times as I like. Now, I have several views in my layout connected with one camera in my plan file? Or do I have more than 1 view in my plan file that was created with one camera? I'm trying to understand what is happening in the plan file connecting that camera to the layout.

Kevin