Thread: Ridge Caps

Question Ridge Caps

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create a ridge cap like the one shown in the pictures I attached? I checked in the manual and could not find any info.

thanks

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	13065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_Page_2a.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	13066  

Stuck on the ridge

Chief does not do roof ridges as such, There are some 3rd party programs you could turn to, but these may be difficult. There is a chief way, and if you enjoy watching paint dry you will find this more interesting.
    Build your roof in the normal way. Now copy each roof plane and raise it a few mm. Put line breaks on each plane in turn. (thats 4 breaks on each of the lower lines), work accurately and try and produce something like shown in the illustration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof ridges.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	13075

Unfortunately this is only the simple version

The ideal situation would be to have all parts of all the ridges generated separately, since this is the only way to facilitate the correct alignment of textures. In the situation shown you would need 10 copies of the appropriate planes.
    With your 10 plane-ridge in place look for a suitable texture,

Now make 9 copies of this texture, giving each a slightly different name, place these in the chief directory along with the original. Now each individual roof plane can be given its own texture, and the textures properties may be adjusted to give the correct look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof ridge plus 3.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	13076

an example of 3 extra roof planes all generated from the original.

I didn't say it was easy, does anyone know an easier way.
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 03-14-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

You can make your own and save them in the library. The "trick" in getting them to show correctly is in the transform/replicate dbx. Check out this past post: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=20866

Thanks for the info. I will try both suggestions and see which one works the best. I wish Chief would have added this feature.

Thanks