Improving Line Weight In Elevations

I Am Trying To Improve The Line Weight Of My Building Elevations, Without Resorting To Converting The Elevations Into Cad Drawings. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions

To start with, are you are aware that once you send a view to layout the pattern lines and "regular" lines are on different layers, and you can adjust those appropriately?
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

The Quick Way

When you hit the send to elevation button, and the DBX pops up, there is a box to set the line weight - I think it defaults to 1, which is pretty light - so change it to something like 5. This will thicken every line on your elevation.

If you need to adjust specific lines, use the edit layout tool. You can find this under tools > layout > "edit layout" or the icon looks like a pencil writing on a piece of paper.
    Keep in mind, though, if you edit specific lines with this tool, and then adjust your elevation, you will lose the lineweight adjustments when updating your layout.
    I always have trouble remembering three things: faces, names, and - I can't remember what the third thing is.

Troy Sabean
    Building Stylist & Stucture Synthesizer
    RCL Website - www.roscoe.ns.ca
    Chief X4
    Sketchup 8 Pro

It's too bad however that all line weight adjustments are lost when the elevation view is re-opened....and then saved again for updates on the layout sheet.

I agree, but I guess it would be a difficult thing to maintain if there were drastic elevation changes....

But, it would be nice if the edit elevation tools weren't so limited.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a way to make your pick point a little more forgiving with the edit elevation tool? I usually draw two or three dots (by mistake) before It actually grabs the line I am shooting for.
    I always have trouble remembering three things: faces, names, and - I can't remember what the third thing is.

Troy Sabean
    Building Stylist & Stucture Synthesizer
    RCL Website - www.roscoe.ns.ca
    Chief X4
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Regarding the line weight issue, you can adjust line weights for walls for example, when you set up your wall layer definitions. You can also adjust the line weights of anything in the Layer Display Options dialog box. If you do this when setting up your plan default values, this may help solve some of those issues.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    To start with, are you are aware that once you send a view to layout the pattern lines and "regular" lines are on different layers, and you can adjust those appropriately?
    Richard,

How do you control those layers independently? I had all my elevations complete with proper line weights set. Got a new machine, went back into layout to add new elevation, now all my line weights are set to 1. Is there a way to adjust those layers so they make universal changes for all the elevations? Running X1. Thanks.

Andy
    Andy
    Classic Remodeling & Construction

This sounds like either "Line Weight Scale" being reset on the new machine. (under Page Setup), or you haven't imported identical layer sets from the old machine.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    This sounds like either "Line Weight Scale" being reset on the new machine. (under Page Setup), or you haven't imported identical layer sets from the old machine.
    The "Line Weight Scale" is the same and I imported the exact same layer sets. Some of the elevations are all set to, say, 6 and then some are set all to 1. Is there a way for me to adjust the normal and pattern line weight setting so that it will update all the elevations on the layout pages?
    Andy

Next thing to try is go to Layout, select "Edit Layout", double-click on a line in a drawing, and change defaults.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

I tried that also and my Default values are correct. The prompt is in the Selected Lines and the Weight is set to 0 with the radi button for Normal Lines checked. Usually this is set to -1 for default value, right? If enter -1, it changes the weight of the selected line only.
    Andy

You can also control layout line wgts (including pattern lines) thru the Layer Display Options dbx.
    To do this, 1st go to 3D/3D Settings/Options tab & select both layer & object settings in "Surface Edge Lines". That will let you control your layout line weights by what they are & the line wgts specified for that item in the active layer set you're using in layout. Walls, windows, roof, etc
    To control the pattern lines, get in the Define Materials dbx for each material & choose your preferences.
    The training videos (SSA) do a nice job w/ this.
    HTH
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11-2009 3-26-13 PM.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	35464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11-2009 3-36-27 PM.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	35465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-11-2009 3-41-10 PM.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	35466  
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Thanks for the info., Jim. Unfortunately my problem is with the line weights in an elevation window on my layout page. See the attached dbx. In this case, everything in the elevation has defaulted to a 6 value. Any thoughts? In other windows most everything has changed to a 1 value and when you go to edit a particular line, its value is 0, not the usual -1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap3.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	35467  
    Andy

Andy,
    I think you need to do it. Sounds like you've got several views to "fix". Change those settings, do what you need to do in the LDO (create a separate layer set for your cabinet elevations & get your line wgts right, then update all your views. Us the "rainbow" tool in cameras to get in the "define material" dbx for each material if there are pattern lines.
    That's probably the quickest most pain-free way to "get 'er dun". Use these settings from now on, & you'll never have to deal w/ this again.
    Email me if you have problems.
    ebdesign@eastbaydesign.net

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    You can also control layout line wgts (including pattern lines) thru the Layer Display Options dbx.
    To do this, 1st go to 3D/3D Settings/Options tab & select both layer & object settings in "Surface Edge Lines". That will let you control your layout line weights by what they are & the line wgts specified for that item in the active layer set you're using in layout. Walls, windows, roof, etc
    To control the pattern lines, get in the Define Materials dbx for each material & choose your preferences.
    The training videos (SSA) do a nice job w/ this.
    HTH
    Jim
    Geeeees!
    I’ve got to take time and review the videos!
    Since last spring when I moved into X2 I have actually weaned myself off of “view to cad before layout” for elevations. Not a lot of clean up work anymore but was still not satisfied with just two line weights. .... Jim,,, I see the light!
    How’s this working out for cross sections? Don’t answer that,,, I’ll look into it.

Thanks, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/