Putting Stairs is the terrian

I have seen many renderings of stairs in a retaining wall but I do not see how it was ever done. I want to do something like the two attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vwerp_2004_VLWC_000082_3x5(1).jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	12620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3572---MJS.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	12621  

Build the walls out of slabs or something around the stairs.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

Other way; wall child button >> retaining wall, draw on terrain then from section view adjust wall hight, you get foundation for wall checked by default. use slab for steps.
    Ash Shaker
    Architect
    Ash Tree Architecture
    Elkridge, MD, USA
    CA X5

Thanks, I will try that

Stairs to landing

Using slabs is fine , its relatively quick and will produce steps, in fact it must be the method of choice whenever unusual constructions are needed, however don't forget the Chief way.

You can take advantage of the property of stairs joining automatically to landings. Landings can be generated and placed independently. To make a landing draw a slab placing it in the location of the lower part of your stair :build/structure/slab, adjust its size. Build another and place it in a position to represent the upper part of the stair, make the width equal the desired width of the stair.
    Right click on a slab, and select "convert to plain polyline", right click again and select "convert to landing", repeat the process with the other slab, in both instances you should set the Heights of the landings that are appropriate for your model. Now generate a normal stair between the two landings, they should join, if not just move the offending landing and "bang it up " against the stair till it does.
    Adjust the stair by fine tuning the heights of the upper and lower landings. Lastly open the stair dialog and adjust its properties, you may want to eliminate the handrails, and the overhang of treads.
    In my example the top and bottom landings have been given pretty much the same depth as those of the stair treads, and so become indistinguishable from them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain stairj.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	12663

In my example the little hill I made has a concave side, and the stairs are kind of hanging badly. to fix this you could place another landing in the middle of two stair sections and adjust its height the make the stair follow the slope better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain stairdoublej.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	12664

Name:  nerd.gif
Views: 195
Size:  2.0 KB
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 02-25-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.