Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The text will not save ....it's a new "view to cad" detail
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Thanks Lew. I was referring to the situation where you work on the cad views, adding all your text, thinking you have your work finished, then after showing it to the clients, they say take out a few of those windows and lets add a door. Now after you go back to the model and make changes creating a new view to cad with your saved camera you will no longer have the text in the new view. I think the solution might be to group select your text (text of coarse which still applies)from the first view to cad, copy the text, and paste it into your updated view to cad.

Kevin

that is the situation I am talking about also.

The text is saved with the camera !!!

So after you add a few windows in the plan, activate the saved camera and you will now have an updated cross section/elevation with your text and you can to a "view to cad" and it creates a new detail as elevation 1.

Delete the old detail and rename elevation 1 to the old detail name and resend to layout. No need to retype the text, etc.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew, I think you have confused yourself...and quite frankly me too

I have used your method, step by step as you say....no text...pic 1 is a front elevation with the text added, pic 2 is the front elevation with the dormer windows removed, saved the camera view, view to CAD yada, yada...NO TEXT IN NEW CAD VIEW!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	11869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front2.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	11870  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Try this as practice.

Draw a simple house with a door and window. Take a cross section - back clipped elevation view through the door and window wall. In that view add a piece of text. Close the window: "Do you want to save this camera?" Click on yes.

Back in plan view. Add something, like another window or door. Subtract something, like a window or door.

Now, find the saved camera that's visible (should be visible) in plan view. Right click on it and then find the Yellow camera icon in the menu that shows up. Click to open this camera view, which already contains some text.

Same view. Should contain the changed items. Should also contain the text you already entered. Leave the text. Add text. Delete text. Change text.

Mike

PS You can move this camera in plan view and it will still maintain the text, even though the view is/could be different.

I just worked on a plan and did this for many elevations and they all retained the text ? I had a devil of time figuring out where the text was being saved until I read the manual and found that it is saved with the camera.

1. using the white camera create a cross section/elevation and add text and arrows etc. to it from CAD mode then return to camera mode and
    save the camera.

2. Now do a view to cad, and give it a name, say, TEST_ELEVATION

3. close the cad detail dbx and the cad detail

4. close the cross section/ elevation

5. You should now see your saved camera in the plan

6. update your plan by adding a window (or some other edit)

7. click on the saved camera and then click on the yellow camera icon to open the saved camera cross section/elevation

8. there is your updated view AND the saved text/edits.

9. do another View to CAD and it will create a CAD detail called "elevation 1"

10. Delete cad detail TEST_ELEVATION and then rename "elevation 1" as TEST_ELEVATION

11. send TEST_ELEVATION to layout

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

View To Cad

Why Use It At All. The Reason I Use Chief Is To Keep The Blueprint In 3d For Future Client Revisions. View To Cad Does Not Help In Maintaining The Integrity Of The Blueprint Macthing 3d Capability.
    michael gilson
    http://www.remodelphoenix.com
    ACCUREST@COX.NET

Lew I got up this morning, read carefully your instructions and yes if you place the text on a cross section view using the "cad mode" then save your camera your text is preserved in that view or a "view to cad" created from that view. Hmmm. Michael I'm wondering now why use "view to cad" tool at all?

Kevin
    Last edited by kevin walker; 02-01-2007 at 04:47 AM.

The advantage to using view to cad is that you have more control over all the lines since they are cad lines. The disadvanage is that the view no longer interact with your plan and if a change is made the view to cad version does not update to reflect the changes.

I personally do not use view to cad but I do put up with a few stray lines that I cannot select or change in any way.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

View to cad makes the view you are looking at a picture of just cad lines .Same as taking a picture in real life of a person.If that person moves the picture will not update..
    Main reason to do the cad is you can edit the lines and make sure it looks good.
    Time to re-watch the tutorials?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Thanks Allen. I would like to do more with cad views because they are a bit cleaner and I have more control over the final view. Yesterday when I posted this question I was under the gun to finish a line drawing of an existing historical structure project to be reviewed by a historical design review subcommittee for them to make recommendations or comments prior to the plan going before the full board of review and ultimately a public hearing. And I wasn't ready to put the plans to layout just yet as I think you could understand why. After getting what I thought was a "view to cad" all ready I realized that I had missed an existing basement window. Now in a panic I wandered how do I fix this? I guess if "cad to view" is going to be used be careful before using.

Kevin
    Last edited by kevin walker; 02-01-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Kevin
    Your welcome..
    It's always when your in a hurry that mistakes happen.You could have added a cad window in the cad view.
    Depends on what would have taken longer..
    The tutorials explain about doing the cad view last.
    I don't mind someone here pointing out my mistakes,and glad they do before a client notices it before I do..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

"The tutorials explain about doing the cad view last."

What the book does not elplain is when last is.

That is why I put up with a few stray lines now and again.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Dan
    What ever works for the person doing it..
    Not going cad works for you..
    Last would be sending to layout for me..
    I was posting for people that are using cad view..I wouldn't try to tell you or any of the other advanced users how to or what is better..
    Hope you didn't think I was..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

I did not take it that way at all.

I just choose to skip that final step in order to get final plans out the door without spending a lot of time getting the plans from 95% to 100%.

My clients make far too many changes after the "final" plans are released to justify cleaning up a view to cad for me.

I have heard from my clients too many times thinkgs like,

- oops, I wanted the garage on the other sides;
    - Lets add a window here;
    - Lets remove this window;
    - I think I want to use window wraps instead of shutters;
    - I only want window grids on the front elevation on this house ... The list is endless.

Most of what I do is for builders and they seem to not know exactly what they want and almost alway make changes after a point where I would expect to do a view to cad.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?