Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tiling a wall

tiling a wall

I am still very new at this. I hope some one can save me some time. I need to tile a wall to 4 feet, but to the ceiling in the shower. I tried spliting the walls and making the shower its own "room" but still ended up with tiles from floor to ceiling.

uknigel,

You have several options available:

1. Utilize the soffit tool but you are limited to a 1" thick soffit for your tiled area.

2. Use a CAD polyline slab to create your tiled surface.

3. (most proper) Since you have the shower room defined to have tile to the ceiling, you have the wall type you need. Make a cross section view of you individual walls. Double click the wall you want the tile wainscoat and the define the wall as a "pony wall". Follow this for each wall with 4' of tile. Then in plan view select the "pony walls" to open the properties. Under the layers tab you will be able to define the upper and lower wall types. Use the tile wall for your lower wall type. Align the walls using the main layer so the studding will make the correct layer alignment. You may have to flip layers so the outside of your wall type shows correctly.

use a pony wall for this...you will need to creat two interior wall types as you can not use the same one for the upper and lower sections of wall...

This pony wall thing is interesting! You have to change the wall type of finish to get a change on the inside. ie. 6" stucco for the tiled section and 6" siding for the top painted section. or did i miss something?

If all the walls are to be tiled the same height simply make the baseboard that height and assign it a tile pattern
    Regards
    Brian Wheatland

Excellent call Brian, I like it... another tip worth remembering...

I second that Tim! That is a great tip Brian!

Louis

I had same problem with tiling only half a wall. I used the soffit tool to create the wainscoating, but Brian's tip is great. It makes the job quicker and much easier. Great job Brian.

Paul Guidry

uknigel,

Yes you have the right idea. You may need to create a custom wall type or two for the correct layers.

at the bottom of the list of wall types there is a space for creating your new wall type. page 209 - 217 in hard manual

the manual covers this very well and also covers the uses of Chief's pony walls. pages 224-230 in the hard manual

too follow on . Now I have tiles on the wall and floor. When I "render" the drawing the tile pattern disappears and the walls look like paint. What did I miss?

have you assigned a texture to the tile pattern?

In the dialogue for your wall layers (double click the wall tool) you can assign a material to the "tile" layer.

select the tile layer and then double click the material shown in the right corner of the dialogue box.

Find tile in the materials and assign an appropriate texture to your preference.

Once a texture is assigned, it will render with the texture. Also your pattern size and shade color can be assigned here. You may even create a custom material type similar to making a custom wall type, only here you make a copy of an existing material and modify it to your needs.

Dean

The picture is getting much better. Is it possible to generate an involved pattern rather than plain tile? would this be a combation of soffits and molding?

now it is time to get creative.

Sometimes a digital scan or photo may be used to 'texture your tile'.

you could add CAD polyline slabs in key positions to make borders. You can also utilize the custom molding as base tiles and cap tiles.

I created a few molding profiles that are copies of tile nosings and inside corners.

I also created a full set of vinyl siding profiles for a nearly complete siding and window display.

without know exactly your needs, I can only guess at the possibilities, which are very broad whan using Chief 7

Dean

Follow on this :

Can anyone tell me how to make the crown molding material seperating from the baseboard material ?Everytime I applied a material or texture to baseboard ,it applied to the crown molding too .

James
    A fan for Chief