Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tiling a wall

All the molding in the room dbx will assume the molding material characteristics.....set the crown height to zero in the room dbx. Then create a soffit with a height and depth of 1"x1" (20x20 in metric) assign it a crown molding in the material you want, reduce it's widthe by the depth of the soffit (either 1" or 20mm)..you can use this to add other moldings in the room with other materials....

Thank you Tim for your tip .But it's maybe inconvenient for our local endusers .Then I can only hope ART can add more materials specification for room in V8 .
    James
    A fan for Chief

This is starting to get annoying!! why does Chief7 change walls back to default setting after I just made the wall into a pony wall. I keep losing the wall breaks to. Then I have to start again. missing something again for sure......................

Jim,

You can't do that easily because currently you have only one choice as a material assignment per room dialogue box. I suppose you could "make" chair rails/base moldings with poly-line slabs or soffits with or without moldings attached. That way you could assign materails independant of the room dialogue box per instance.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

James:

I'm afraid that all we have available now is the ability to assign a material to "Moldings" via the material tab of the room specification dbx. This same material will be applied to all room moldings (base, chair rail and crown).

Perhaps V8 will give us the ability to specify different materials for each of these. For now, I think your only option is to use soffits/cabinets with custom moldings applied or polyline slabs as molding if you want to reflect differing materials.
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

The attached file contains a picture of multicolored moldings in a room.

This is accomplished by using a three story room where floor 2 and 3 are defined as open below.

It is a tweaked workaround but having different materials for your molding in the same room is possible without using a soffit or cabinet as a carrier.

Floor 2 in the sample is only 1" tall and the floor 3 wall polyline had to be pulled around the window. To stop the chair rail in floor 2, the wall was made invisible in the area of the window to break the chair rail.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks all your help ,especially Dean's tip .Though tweaked ,it dose help to solve the materials problem when only design a single floor houses.But I still can't understand how can we have 3 story within one room .
    James
    A fan for Chief

"But I still can't understand how can we have 3 story within one room..."

James,

'Open Below' is a room definition like 'Kitchen' 'Bathroom' 'Porch' 'Garage' , etc. that Chief uses to give a room special properties. In this case 'Open Below' removes the floor system of floor 2 and of floor 3.

This trick could be applied to a two or three story structure with careful planning of your model. Vaulted/coved ceilings in entry foyers and hallways are fun to model this way, where the crown molding uses a large 1/4 circle with the same material as the walls and ceiling.

Dean

Thanks Dean, I got it .

James
    A fan for Chief