Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OK...maybe I met my match in stubborness....

You are right, it is more efficient your way. That is because you are conforming to the limits of the text tools current functions. However, when you add arrows your way, (after the text is created and on the correct layer) you have to adjust the arrow head location, which is not more efficient, because it results in additional clicks.

What I'm suggesting is make the text tool better by combining both of our methods. After the text is created. Draw an arrow to the right location, and when it connects to the text, the layer changes to the text box layer automatically. This way you can draw arrows to the right place the first time, and both are on the same layer.

All in the way you look at it I suppose.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

However, when you add arrows your way, (after the text is created and on the correct layer) you have to adjust the arrow head location, which is not more efficient, because it results in additional clicks.
    I don't think so. (two keyboard keys) I use control A and place them where I want. ...and they are on the correct layer.
    Last edited by louis; 01-11-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Ctrl A is a great short cut, but again....comes in on the wrong layer....but if the arrow would automatically adjust to the text layer...then problem solved.

I see you edited your reply....they are not on the same layer, unless you change the defaults....that is the problem.
    Last edited by Ben Palmer; 01-11-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Ctrl A is a great short cut, but again....comes in on the wrong layer....but if the arrow would automatically adjust to the text layer...then problem solved.
    Ben, it does!!!! When you use my method. The problem is solved. ...and that's what I have been saying!!!!

I gve up. I getting to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer
    louis and chris--

put text into a plan, and change the layer of the text (not the defaults, but inside the individual text box only). Now draw a leader to that text.
    Yes - if you draw a leader to the text of course it is on whatever layer your default layer is set to...if you use the add an arrow tool in the text spec dbx the arrow will be on the same layer as the text regardless of the default settings.

AND it stays linked to the text at the point of intersection of the leader line and text box. The arrow-head or terminator will remain where it was placed and you will have to re-position that if the text box is moved - but the leader line to the text box stays together and stretches to the new text-box location while the terminator stays fixed on the object to which it was pointing.

If you want to move the two together, as well the arrow, without stretching the leader line - then select the two, block them together...and if you want, put the block on the respective layer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefChris
    Yes - if you draw a leader to the text of course it is on whatever layer your default layer is set to...if you use the add an arrow tool in the text spec dbx the arrow will be on the same layer as the text regardless of the default settings.
    Right...what I want is for the arrow to go to the layer of the text box, not the default. That way the box and arrow on the same layer, which is more important then the default. If there is not text box to follow, then no problem following the text arrow defaults.

If you want to move the two together, as well the arrow, without stretching the leader line - then select the two, block them together...and if you want, put the block on the respective layer.
    I understand the way it works now, but I want a more efficient tool that will select the arrow automatically with the selection of the box.

Louis..

Don't give up...it was just getting fun. Maybe I am as stubborn as my wife says I am.

If it is coming in on the right layer for you, that means that you changed your text default layer (which also changes your arrow defaults layer). But if you put text in, then change that individual box. Then use Ctrl A, the arrow comes in on the default layer, not the layer of the text. Ctrl A is the same as using the icon, which follows the default, not the individual text box (just as Chris said). What I want is for it to change to the text box layer regardless of what the default is. The text box is more important.

I'll use an example if you want me to....I promise that it doesn't work.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

My question is - why not select "add arrow" when you place text in your text box. You still have to drag the leader line to your object, but it is on the same layer AND connected to the text box....

Why do you place the text box, THEN draw a leader to it? That seems backwards....and of course it's not going to produce the arrow on the same layer.

Place a text box and at the same time add the arrow....then it's all on the same layer of which you can change in the text DBX for that text box and the leader will change with it....

use the text tool - type your text, change the layer if you want, check "add arrow" click OK...and in one command step you have a text note with a leader line all connected on the same layer, now all you need to do is position the terminator/arrow.
    Last edited by ChiefChris; 01-11-2007 at 10:44 AM.

My question is - why not select "add arrow" when you place text in your text box. You still have to drag the leader line to your object, but it is on the same layer AND connected to the text box....
    Fair question.
    1. Add arrow isn't segmented, and needs positiioned anyway.
    2. I admit most of the text I add is done initially with an arrow, but there are many times that I don't such as: I make quite a few design notes through out the process with text boxes (this can include electrical, floor plan, HVAC, etc.) so I don't put arrows with them yet because that is tacky when printing out for client review. But go back later and add when ready for CDs, but because they are on different layers, I have to follow the methods discussed. I'm asking for more power, that doesn't result in a loss in functionality.
    3. The connection of the arrow isn't an issue since it connects either way you create the arrow...the connectivity that is an issue is copying and deleting. Why shift or marquee select if they can just stay together when selecting the box.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

at least i'm fair...

your response #2 I guess is a personal preference in your drawing process...

if i have text that will have an arrow - it has one from the first time it's on my drawing. my clients drawings are the same as the CD's....the client signs the construction documents and aproves them - every page (elec, HVAC, plumbing, framing..all of them)...before we begin construction. they see it all.

i understand #1 that they aren't segmented. i did like the leader with the horiz section then the angle line to the object....but since CA didnt do that automatically with the text box - i just haven't been using a segmented leader line for the last 10 years....

HEY...it's been fun.

You are fair....I picked that up while in Australia for a couple of years.

I do like many of the text features, and I obviously use them, since those are the only ones available to get the job done. I'm just asking for more. I guess I'm never satisfied.

It has been fun....I come from a large family, so part of me enjoys the debating also.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

I'm all in favor of reverting back to the 9.5 version of handling text and arrows. With R10, we have two entities to contend with, AND if we elect to use radiused leaders, it's another step to work around.

Release 9.5 was much easier to use in terms of the text and leader command.

Am hoping to hear from the Beta testers whether or not this issue has been addressed or not.

Just my two cents worth.
    Best,

Dave

arrows

i agree arrows need to follow and be on same layer without additional effort
    michael gilson
    http://www.remodelphoenix.com
    ACCUREST@COX.NET

I agree that it would be great if the arrow always followed the text and I agreed earlier in this thread. It does not do that now in all cases. Again it would be great if it did. I would like that. I agree it would be great. Did I say it would be great! I would like that! It would be great! I would like this added!

What I wanted to show is a way of working in 10 so that it does work that way. If you work this way the arrow and text are always on the same layer and it does not matter if you place the text with an arrow or text by itself and then place arrows. We work the way Chief was designed to work. If you chose not to work this way that's your choice and that's okay by me.

Did I change working style to adapt to the software? You bet I did! Did I like this when 10 first came out? No of course not. Is 10 faster than 9? You bet it is!

Happy Plan Drawing!
    Last edited by louis; 01-12-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support. I have been beating this horse for quite some time. It hopefully it has plenty of life left in it.

Thanks for putting it so eloquently Bruce.... Arrows need to copy with text also.

Arrows also need to assume the the attributes (layers, etc.) of the text.

Ben:

You are way to polite, Version 10 text is terrible period.

Ron

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

That's great Ron. Just don't use it if you don't like it that much.

I don't feel the same way and that's okay.

...and there is no reason to not be polite.

Happy Plan Making.
    Last edited by louis; 01-12-2007 at 02:28 PM.