Font in pdf print problem

For the first time since getting a new computer, I sent pdf layout files to the print shop that I generally use. Even though everything looked right on the layout and on the pdf in Adobe Reader, the prints had a different font everywhere than what I used.

It was the same font, on the same layout file I always use. Using Chief 10.08 and pdf995 a as I was before. While I was at the shop, he tweaked something in Adobe Acrobat that fixed the problem and told me I needed to change something in my software that would say something like "allow text inclusion" but I can't find anything like that.

I think I have seen something in earlier posts about font problems in pdfs but when I tried searching I get "no match" for "pdf"!

I suspect he meant you need to enable "font embedding". This means the font is included in the document. Otherwise, the font is not there (only a reference to it) when the document is opened on a different computer.

NOTE: You may need to also have the pdfEdit995 program, as I don't believe the basic pdf995 has font embedding. If the remote computer has the actual font installed, though, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by RMorrison; 01-07-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Thanks, Richard. I may look into pdfEdit but I hope that won't make any extra step in making files to print.

I found a lot of information from other sources about changing from "substitute device font" to "download softfont" in advanced printing preferences. There is also a place to change from "optimize for speed" to "optimize for portability". I've tried both of those and sent it to the print shop and see if that works.

Problem now is that those settings won't stay when I change them in the Chief drawing, even on the same drawing in the same session; even with pdf995 as the default printer with the change.

and can anyone tell me why you can't search for "pdf" in Chieftalk posts?
    Liz

Liz:

there is a minimum word size for searches, I think it is 4 characters.

try a search with: pdf+print or such similiar

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks Lew. That seems to solve the search question.

In case anyone else has the font problem: the print shop says the changes I made solved that problem. The reason it didn't stay changed was that I changed the printing preferences from the Print dbx. It stays changed when made from the Page Setup dbx.