Thread: Resize

Resize

Often when I import dxf symbols into the symbol maker I need to place them in a plan and resize because they were made in metric. THe problem is that the resize does not work on all three dimensions. The height stays the same. Looks like a bug to me. I have been ignoring it but felt it was time to report it. I don't want it passed on to version 11!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Hi Dennis,

I had the same problem converting symbols from imperial. As generally suggested on here, use Accutrans and do all your scaling and conversions there. I've never had a problem since.
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)

not a bug...user error

if they are not resizing on the z axis most likely it is because you do not have the stretch plane in the correct location...most commonly the stretch plane set at 0...and it is below the symbol, so the size change only makes the election box change, but not the symbol itself

but to create symbols that use a drawing done in other units...

when you create the symbol is the time to set the units to match what they were created with...it is on the 3D page whre you select the file you are using to create the symbol...3D section...in the the sizing tab..and check the dimensions that are assigned..do they look reasonable?,,,then save it
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 12-11-2006 at 06:34 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Tim,

I did not know there was a relationship between resizing and stretch planes. Actually, I don't know why there should be. I would think that resizing and stretching were two seperate functions. If I want to rescale an object and apply a factor of .5 or .1 I would think that that would apply to all 3 dimensions. At least based on my logic. (which on occasion is faulty)
    I usually do not know the actual size of the symbols that come in in metric. I use the resize to scale it down proportionately, at least I was trying to until I found the height wasn't being affected. Now I just wing it
    so it looks correct.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin
    Tim,

I did not know there was a relationship between resizing and stretch planes. Actually, I don't know why there should be. I would think that resizing and stretching were two seperate functions. If I want to rescale an object and apply a factor of .5 or .1 I would think that that would apply to all 3 dimensions. At least based on my logic. (which on occasion is faulty)
    I usually do not know the actual size of the symbols that come in in metric. I use the resize to scale it down proportionately, at least I was trying to until I found the height wasn't being affected. Now I just wing it
    so it looks correct.
    the stretch plane is related to the degree, in that in needs to intersect some part of the drawing so there is something, somewhere to stretch...if it is above, below or to the side of the symbol, the sizing will only affect the bounding box for the symbol not any part of the drawing itself

when you create a symbol (lets say an 18" tall stool), when you get to the sizing page it will show the outside dimensions of the 3d file (largest distance on the three planes) you are using...if they look out of wack you are using the wrong unit...just back up to the 3d page and change the unit...ie if your stool is 45-46 inches tall when it should be around 18" high and you used the inch setting, you might want go back and change the unit to cm (.3937"=1cm )...when you click back to the sizing...page you want those sizes to be realistic sizes...(note: you can set these to different values, but it only affects the bounding box for the symbol, not the symbol size itself(ie...think toilets and the access space you need on either side and in front of, this is what you would use that sizing for)

you can also create your own custom conversion units by adding them in Preferences>general>unit conversions...say you want to double the size of a dwg/dxf file, in the preferences section noted, click add,...then name the conversion unit (ie..2x)then add the desired multiplier to the parameter line (multiply by 2 to convert to inch)
    Tim O'Donnell

Hi Dennis
    I think you and Tim are talking about 2 different things.You want to get the size right when importing it through the symbol wizard.
    Been having this problem to,but did something today,read the note that came with it that tells what it was made at.In this one cm.
    Set the import at cm.
    It came in the right size,don't worry about what the numbers say till it is in CA.
    Hope this helps.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen,

Yes, I see what you are saying. For some reason (stupidity) I never Paid attention to the in/cm thing, DOH!
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Tim,
    Sorry I missed it the first time!

Dennis
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Dennis
    Your welcome
    I would import new symbols in a new plan encase it causes a problem..

I just read Tims post,he said to do it first.But many times they go over my head and I don't read the whole thing..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4