"Closed Sides" Stair Option

It looks like people have been having a problem with this bug for over 3 years now, but it still happens...

When you check the "closed sides" option under the stair .dbx, there is no way to turn off the underside material. It is not there when you view the stair from the front but it is there when you view it from the back. Workarounds are:

1.When render views are being used set the material of the underside to no material, problem solved.
    2.When using vector views, tough luck, you have to use the delete surfaces tool every time you can see it from a camera view...
    3.You can always build the stair from sratch...

Please let me know if you know another way around this bug.
    Are there any plans to fix this? Or is it not really a bug, and the underside material is supposed to show from the back but not the front...
    It would also be nice, as other people have noted, to have more control over stringers and where they appear.

Thanks,
    Oliver

Oliver,

it looks like you are right, i used your number 1 successfully

do you know how to do an open stair without a center stringer? I don't

Well, the above option is the only one which removes the central stringer, and the .dbx lacks any other options for adjusting any of the stringers in the cut stringer style(when "closed sides" is not checked). But you can delete its surfaces in vector view or you can set the material to no material but that would get rid of all of your stringers...