Thread: .DWG importing

Hybrid View

Larry,

in this case,

if the landscape plan was sub contracted out, why not just have the guy give you a plot for submittal or pdf. you can send pdf's around that anyone can plot

unless you are going to manipulate the data in the irrigation plan there is no need to be able to import it..

right? maybe I am misunderstanding

I work with all kinds of subs, when i get there .dwgs alls I have to do is change there colors to my colors and its done, it is only a matter of seconds to do this during the print routine

sometimes I am doing entire subdivisions with a survey xrefed in, then if the survey changes all I do is change the xref and everything updates automatically, chief does not have that capability yet and as such I will not be doing any chief site plans till they do. like now if your landscape changes you have to do the whole exercise again..

hope I am making sense

Quote Originally Posted by slatta
    Larry,

in this case,

if the landscape plan was sub contracted out, why not just have the guy give you a plot for submittal or pdf. you can send pdf's around that anyone can plot

unless you are going to manipulate the data in the irrigation plan there is no need to be able to import it..
    It is possible IF the pdf is perfect, which it wasn't, requiring a phone call to the irr. guy to resend the pdf with the water meter in the proper place and the controller on the building and sprinklers changed......you know the drill.

And sending a plot would also mean it would need no corrections which they ALWAYS need. So e-mailing the files is by far the easiest way I've found to make the needed changes. It's just that we don't have a way to modify the PDF's or the .dwg files to make any changes in house in their native file formats.

I work with all kinds of subs, when i get there .dwgs alls I have to do is change there colors to my colors and its done, it is only a matter of seconds to do this during the print routine
    I know everyone else seems to need only seconds to import .dwg's but we are technically challenged in some regards and dwgs give us a royal pain, could be just from lack of experience as this thread is helping with.

sometimes I am doing entire subdivisions with a survey xrefed in, then if the survey changes all I do is change the xref and everything updates automatically, chief does not have that capability yet and as such I will not be doing any chief site plans till they do. like now if your landscape changes you have to do the whole exercise again.
    Yeah, kinda bringing us back to one of the original questions about owning ACAD or not. Seems to be invaluable to you, if I am reading your postings correctly, and we are trying to make that decision and maybe even understand their implementation of xref.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic