Ceiling Problem V-9.5 full

I have a first floor and then an attic room which is in 3 sections (ie-storage in the eaves, behind walls, and then the main room). Each section has the ceilings turned offbut yet they keep appearing in the framing view but not the other views. They also calculate in the materials list. How do I get rid of them?

Sorry, your description is not detailed enough to diagnose the problem.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

set a ceilng ht high enough to eliminate them
    Tim O'Donnell

Red Face No Ceilings needed

Thanks for your help. I can't set the ceilings higher since now it won't allow me to select the 'rooms'. Due to time being short, I'll just work around it by manually deleting them on screen and delete them in the materials list when I export it to Excel.

Later I'll go back and play with the plan to see what's wrong - never say die.

Gary
    Last edited by gcheris; 10-13-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Gary,

You have limited funtionality in Attic floors.

I believe you'd be better off changing your Attic to a 2nd floor. This can be done without changing the characteristics of what, I believe you're trying to do.

Dan

Ceiling issue

Thanks Dan, this is an addition to an existing home where the addition's west wall, which is wider than the house (invisible in part), is part of the house's east wall.

I originally created the attic using a second floor which I made 42" high. Then I created an inner room 66" high, 6' in from the north and south sides which maintained a 4/12 pitch for the roof which I added next. Both rooms had the ceiling above room unchecked. F12 and implementing the framing gave me the correct results.

Sometime later, as I was making some other changes and adding crossties and jack rafters/sleepers the attic ceiling appeared. I don't think I hit any inappropriate key but I guess I could have.

In any case, there are no more room definitions able to be selected and the ceiling (now manually deleted) wants to be there. Could simply using the room label 'Attic' cause the problem?

Gary

Gary

Using the Attic label does cause the room and roof to behave differently, however I think you should still be able to select the room. I'm a little puzzeled there.

Unless you want your second floor's roof to start at 42" I believe that you're better off 1st designating your new 2nd floor as '0' height, next generate your roof, then redesignate your desired ceiling heights.

This will give you the same Attic space with the full funtionality of a 2nd floor.

Dan

If you have a room there then it shouldn't be labeled "attic". chief does treat "attic" differently.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Good input/suggesstions

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll surely avoid the attic label next time and try starting the 2nd floor at 0".

What I still can't figure out is why the ability to define the room is no longer available. I changed no walls yet clicking in the room yields nothing.

Thx,
    Gary