Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raytracing

Michael:

Thanks for the information.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

The particular garage door I showed in that last exterior view was in it's own library called "Carraige door 1". So I'm thinking some kind person posted it in Chieftalk sometime and I downloaded it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where. But maybe you can search on "carraige door"... The hassle with it is that to show it as in the rendering, I have to set it as a "hinged door", which of course looks stupid in plan to have a double hinged door 18' wide! So I have to keep remembering to turn it back to "garage door" for when I print floor plans. But if I view it as "garage door", I have it squished and replicated 8 times, as if that image was a single panel in an 8 panel door. It's very annoying. But the symbol looks great, so I use it.

I also have Chiefware's garage door set which I use other times.

Christina

Thanks for the explanation Christina. Unless someone tells me that v11 is going to have a greatly enlarged library of different styled doors with various sizes, shapes and window designs - it looks like I will give the Chiefware offering a try as it has a very good offering of different styles and glass.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson
    Thanks for the explanation Christina. Unless someone tells me that v11 is going to have a greatly enlarged library of different styled doors with various sizes, shapes and window designs - it looks like I will give the Chiefware offering a try as it has a very good offering of different styles and glass.
    Curtis,
    I have chiefware and though it is a good little program it does not make carriage style doors. They do have symbols you can buy.

HTH
    Michael L. Dalton
    Parallax Designs

all the tools to make a carriage door for your needs for yourself (or whomever you may chose to share it with) exist within chief...it is not hard....it does not take long..you only need to do it once then make a symbol out of your drawing(s)

christina...so your door does not look like you say in a 3d view when you have it set as a garage door...go to the door spec dbx>general tab and change the number of vertical panels to 1......(it apparently is a full ht door, not a single panel that you want repeated up a specific number of times to fill the opening)
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Thanks for your kind responses. I am going to add the new water fall feature as this will definitely enhance the appearence of the image. I have tried adding the extra light sources, but when I do a night view only six or so of the lights actually come on and are visable. The others just disapear and I cannot see them.

Any suggestions are always welcome.

Tim - great tip! Thanks. I should have known...

Christina

Most video cards can only display 8 lights, this is not a function of Chief but of the video card. Newer cards can do more lights but they can cost $$$

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Most video cards can only display 8 lights, this is not a function of Chief but of the video card. Newer cards can do more lights but they can cost $$$

Lew
    note this only applies to opengl renders...povray raytraces will use all the lights in the plan, but be judicious about their usage as each one adds a performance hit to the render time
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 09-19-2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Tim:

thanks for that clarification.

so many rules and caveats, so few brain cells

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Tim: Thanks for the input - when I first started using chief it was manual roofs that I was reluctant to start trying, then I got a job where I had to learn how to move manually build roofs - now, I need to get over the symbol making hurdle.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Thanks for the clarification on the lights lbuttery I have found that when raytracing a scene it helps to delete everything out of the plan that is not in view and save it as another file. This dramatically increases the time needed to raytrace a scene!

I think you can also just turn off most things via layers and layersets and have the same benefit ?

Check some of the threads concerning raytracing and speed for other tips on increasing speed.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051