Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A bit of a Noob question

Hi, this is my first time coming here for help but I was following the instructions for creating a Split Level entryway in Architect 9.5 located here:http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...?faqNumber=587 and I can not get the doorway to connect at the landing, it conects to the foundation floor. I have tried changing the floor at which the door is placed but it always connects straight to the foundaion floor. Can someone please help me get it to connect to the lading? Sorry for such a noob question

Don't worry about that--your question is far from being a dumb one. I'm sure I've asked dumber and I've been using Chief for over a year!
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design
    Chief Architect v. 10.08a...X1 will have to wait.

Hi
    A picture would help.If you have every thing built right,Try in a camera view to click on the door and dragging it up.You may have to Ctrl and drag at the same time..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

I may be able to get pictures of the problem on Wednesday (You see this is a project for a Drafting Tech Advanced class in school so I am limited to the program only while I have the class, and my instructor is not quite qualified for his position and had told me a split level was impossible) I hadn't even thought about trying to move it in the Camera view, I will definatly try that when I am ble to. Thanks for the suggestion.

had told me a split level was impossible)

He is most definitely not qualified as split levels are very doable in chief, even multi-split levels.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Yes he also teaches other courses he is not qualified for unfortunatly this is only courses in High School so just very basic knowledge is all they require for him to teach, personally I think that he should not teach anything to do with computers as I had to teach a class how to use the character map in windows and what Alt-Codes were.

And back to the split level-That tutorial has it so that it is split between the first floor and the basement, which I personally don't like. Do you know of any tutorials for doing one with a regular foundation with no basement and a split between first and second floors?

the principles would be the same. but create floor 1 and floor 2 and then when it is all done then create the foundation.

Use the doll house mode renders on each floor as you create the split level and you can confirm how it is coming along

Try it out and then post any questions, you have.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Get the demo of CA for home.With a sub drive you could take the file home with you.
    Also if you get a cheap version=3D home architect 4,or the home designs,draw the basic house with them and open it with the demo to save time..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Student licence might be applicable if you can afford it
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com/shop/pricing.html
    And
    All products come with an unconditional Money Back Guarantee. New purchases include a 90 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Can you go wrong?
    In Any Case \:
    the Creator has been waiting for someone who didn't know it was impossible,..and therefore just dit it!!
    Well done
    Peter Sveinsson
    Bathroom Designer, Kitchen Designer, Builder
    Adelaide, Australia
    email: peter@brilliantsa.com.au
    email: (alternative) icy@senet.com.au
    X4 on Windows 7

So I went into the camera mode and dragged the door up like I had planned, it seems to work fine but where the landing had been intersecting it before has left a mark on the door
    I thought it might have just needed to be refreshed but it stays there.

Edit:

I went in to change the materials on the door, and it got rid of the line across the door but now it automatically places the door up the the start of the first floor now instead of the foundation.

Edit 2:

With it set on the first floor like it is I can no longer move the door down o he landing either.
    Last edited by Pyromantice; 09-13-2006 at 08:08 AM.

are yuou using walls(invisible/rails or other) to define the area? that is the simplest...then just set the floor ht in the room
    Tim O'Donnell

I'm using rail because that's how the tutorial teaches it, however I can't go edit the walls on the landing (at least that I can figure out because I am not very knowledgable) and I need to get rid of them because I figured out that the wooden sgment across the door is the railing from the side of the showing through the wall

EDIT:

I guess to make that a little clearer, when using the Polyline box and converting it to the landing it automatically adds banisters on all four sides, and that is interfering with other wasll and showing through
    Last edited by Pyromantice; 09-13-2006 at 10:31 AM.

click on each side of the polyline that you don't want a railing and open the polyline dbx and uncheck "railing on this side"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

pyromantice??(do you have a name?)

zip the plan up and I will take a look at it for you...email me
    Tim O'Donnell