Hybrid View

Thanks Tim,

You understand exactly what I was trying to say. Layer Sets have a dramatic impact on finished drawings and are like the difference between drawing with crayons and a pen plotter. They can make your drawings become vivid and relay the picture in your minds eye in very subtile ways. They make drafting much more of an art in so many ways. The walls in my floor plans have vivid color files that do no obscure that may be shown within the walls. These same walls are light gray dashed outlines in my framing plans or on the roof plan. It takes a lot of time and effort to layer sets that enhance the presentation of key elements and mute or not display items that are not relevant to a particular layer set. As someone else said, "It is a matter of taste." I would go even further and say it is an art developed over time and with considerable effort and thought.

Thanks for understanding,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell
    I tend to agree with mbbailey on this,

he means that you can assign linestyles, colors, line wts, lock, etc differently to each layer in any given layer set...

layer sets are not just for what's on or off...

think of layer sets really as 'views' and how you want items displayed for each 'view' is imperative...for example an electrical set, i want my electrical elements to stand out from other drawing elements...the way to do this will depend on how you print your plans (ie, b&w or in color, sheet size, etc)...and that will dictate color assignments, line styles, and line wts you want for various elements of the drawing...

without the actual layer assignments(ie color, line style, linewts, etc) used in each layer set (not just what's on/off) ,a list of layer sets is pretty much useless...and as my thinking of layer sets as 'views' this is also somewhat subjective to each individual user

I also tend to agree with Larry...less is more when it comes to layer sets...a ton of them will only add to the confusion...
    Michael Bailey
    Bailey's CAD Services
    Ferndale, CA
    707-407-7660
    bcs-office@baileyhouses.com

SOFTWARE:
    XP Pro, CA V10 - X2

HARDWARE:
    ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT AMD DualCore
    Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR400 RAM,
    XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB Dual DVI Video
    DesignJet 500 & 130nr Plotters