Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Refresher on layout sets

Greetings all, I'm once again using layer sets but not completely getting it. I'm using the default layer set as my main layer set. Then importing this set to layout page 4. Then I'm choosing the layout framing set and making all my adjustments and sending this to page 5. When I looked at my default layer set on page 4 all the changes I made on my framing set are there. I missing something send all Tips / instructions fast...

Thank you Sean

First of all, I recommend you do not use the default layer set to send anything to layout. Copy the default set and name it "Main Set" if you like, but don't just use the default - it makes it even easier to mess things up.

Make sure the "Modify all layersets" check box at the top of the layerset dbx is unchecked. If it was checked, anything you changed on your framing layerset, would also change on your default layerset - thus your problem.

Layersets can really save you a ton of time, so it's great you're willing to learn to use them. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it.

Christina

Christina--

I'm using version 9.x...is there something in 10 that makes the default set no good? I use the default set as my main set in 9 and send to layout with no problems.

Just looking to avoid pitfalls when I hopefully upgrade to v11.

TIA

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

I use the default set all the time, and the others sets I made they work with very few problems (user error) if I forget to show or hide some layer or so, other than that, it works good.

I'm using the most out of layers now.
    Jorge Araya
    X5 - Archicad - Revit LT - AutoCAD LT
    http://www.motmots.net
    https://plus.google.com/112064287731194407334/posts

Ben - It's not that the default layer set is no good, I just believe that you are less liable to make mistakes when you start using a lot of layersets to get into the habit of creating layersets with specific purposes. The layersets are so much better in 10 than 9 - a huge improvement. I hardly used them at all in 9 they were such a hassle compared to what I was used to in previous cad programs. In 10, they are much more functional and usable. I don't remember now the exact differences, but I really noticed. ( I used to be a CAD manager for a medium sized architecture firm and set all the standards, etc, so I'm probably more into efficiency than the average user...)

Anyway, in v10, I probably have 40+ layersets and another 40 or 50 custom layers, that I use in all my plans. So I have a layerset "Floor Plan - Names" - generic floor plan with the room names showing, a "Floor Plan - Furniture" with furniture and no names, "Floor Plan - Basic" just the minimum, "Elevations - Detailed", "Elevations - Basic", etc. I have them for Floor Plans, Doll House views, Elevations, Lighting, Electrical, Roof Plans, Site Plans, Interior Views, Exterior Views... and each has several variations (with existing items showing, with more or less details, etc). It makes it very quick for me to go from an interior view to an elevation, to the roof plan design mode, to roof plan for printing mode, etc. You just figure out how you work and it will save you 80% of turning layers on and off, by just going to the appropriate layerset.

Christina

Thanks. I use layer sets pretty heavily in 9 also, and I'm sure I'll eventually use the new layers in v10. Just wondering if something had changed since beta. Thanks again.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

For most poeple who do plans for a living a set up like Christina has is overkill. I will provide a plan with user layers and layer sets already set up in my layer set class comng soon. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. method.

I used and taught layer sets in 9 and I use and teach layer sets in 10.
    Last edited by louis; 08-02-2006 at 07:23 AM.

If Christina's layers and layer sets are overkill, I wonder what the AIA Cad Layer Guidelines are!

In my limited experience the number of layers and layer sets seems to depend on two basic variables - how many sheets I need to satisify the building departments I submit to and how many different builders I work for. The building departments want what they want the way they want it - trying to get them to accept anything else is a waste of breath. Builders are almost as bad, especially those who are set in their ways. Individuals, at least so far, seem to defer to me as far as how a design is presented to them.

That said, I have fewer custom layers (~25) and layer sets (~15), reflecting my smaller scope in both the building department and builders dimensions. It takes time and tuning to get them "right" but as Christina says, it pays dividends in efficiency and consistency. I'd still like some way to lock individual layer set definitions to avoid unintended changes, including those that CA makes, but v10 is very useful as is.
    J. Michael Milner
    Harmony Development
    CA 9.54 & 10.08a

Exactly. It depends on what is required in your area as to how complicated your layers and layer sets need to be.

...and some users add more layer sets than they need because of a lack of understanding of how Chief is set up.
    Last edited by louis; 08-02-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Something I never got was why, after sending a custom Layer Set, let's say 'Framing Set First Floor' to layout when I double click that plan in layout it takes me back to the plan file but opens up a new Layer set called Layer Set2, then Layer Set3 and on and on but never back to the custom Layer Set I created and originally sent to Layout.

I know this has been covered but it is the main reason I have avoided Layers. I ended up wasting amazing amounts of time redoing everything because I didn't realize that I was working in a new Chief created Layer Set instead of the one I had expected to be opened.

It seems like most folks have found a way to work around this and I guess the only cure is to know that Chief does this and manually change the Layer Set to the one you want each time. Is there another way to handle this 'feature' of Chief and Layer Sets?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Larry,

Exactly. This messes up users all the time. I will show how to handle this while learning to work with layers.

I think it depends on what you use CA for.working drawings you don't need that many.
    In Christina case,she does renderings more I think,it might not be over kill by that much..But 40 to 50 sounds like a lot..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen,

I did not say it was overkill for her!

...but I believe it would be overkill for most Chief users.

Louis
    I reread your post just before I posted,and understood then.Was already typed out,so I posted.
    Sorry

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4