Thread: Welcome!!

Jacob Guest

Welcome!!

Thanks for stopping by the new ChiefTalk Bulletin Board. Today (August 12) is the first day of operation, so there isn't much action yet, but we at ART sincerely hope this forum will provide some much-needed service to Chief Architect users. If you have any questions, please contact webmaster@chiefarch.com .

Hello Jacob
    A hearty thanks to everyone at ART for bringing back Chief~talk, and it's nice to meet out new moderator/administrator.
    Now lets get this show on the road, to becoming the worlds premier design software.

Dave Gaither

Hi Jacob,

Great new site!

I see that there is a way to get replys to posts via email, but is there any way for me and others to do everything by email includeing post topics and recieve all topics? This would be a great advantage to many of us.

Caleb

Jacob Guest
    The only way to post to this forum is to go through the post topic/post reply forms. The reason behind this (I believe) is to distinguish if this is a new thread or a reply to a previous one. We considered using the Unix Majordomo mailing program to manage another chieftalk mailing list, but we liked the idea of hosting this bulletin board, plus it cuts down on our bulk mailing.

Jacob

I agree with Caleb , it would be nice if it was e-mail. Much more convenient as in my rural area a POTS line is all there is and it can only deliver 24-28000 bps on good days. So web based becomes awfully s-l-o-w.

Jacob
    Hello from Down Under - thanks to all at ART for their efforts recently. Looking forward to this new "ChiefTalk" - all I need now is my copy of version 6.0 to arrive (hint-hint to dispatch and the pony express).

Jacob:

Site looks spiffy, but man is this slow! Seems kind of backwards - looking for help you can get a response by e-mail (quick and painless) but to try and help you've got to wade through all these pages loading. I'm like Tim O'D - I often access from home on a POTS line. Sure hope you resurect a list server.

And whats up w/this junior member thing? When do we get our decoder rings and become full members?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Kennedy (edited 12 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Matt Kennedy (edited 12 August 1999).]

Again... triple Cudo's to ART and this new site... It's gona get the trafic from all the people who don't knwo about egroups. But that's a problem since the more volume, the more of a problem it is to monitor a web based BBS like this one . I can understand Jacob's and ART's reasons for not doing this, but I think the responce your gona see is that we are not GIVEING UP OURE EGROUPS as long as they offer email services and there is somebody else on the group.

The egroups site web area also catagorizes the incomming emails by topic w/ replies etc, so somehow it is possible to do an email list and a web one at the same time. Jacob mentioned the option of maintaining a list as well as this BB. If that means that they would be separate groups and that we'd have to monitor BOTH, I'd say no way That's worse.

Well, I'm confident it will all get worked out. We'll see how this plays out. I'd also hate to see ART investing time and money into something that is a duplicate of teh egroups server. I'd rather see program improvements.

Caleb

[This message has been edited by Chieftain (edited 12 August 1999).]

Jacob,

What is the "pecking order" around hear and to whom should I be respectful of (in other words what's the "Junior Member" thing about, ain't we still in A-Merica). Do I have to earn merit badges er sumphin?????
    A civil reply would be appreciated even though I am not.
    Thank You
    David J. Potter

Jacob:

Nice site. For those of us that use the net to review messages at e-groups I like this format (the ability to see all the messages) much better.

Larry

We/I need email! I agree with the messages posted by Caleb.

Gee, almost 50 and a "junior" again!

I'm glad to see this forum back. I visited the e-groups forum only to see the standard "us" and "them" mentality. There was a thread on the e-groups regarding "newbies" and how too many of them would be a deterent to the group as a whole. Someone posted something about letting this forum handle these "newbies" so the "older" users could keep the e-groups forum status quo. I think that would be great.

One more thing. It sure would be nice if folks here stopped complaining about every little thing. I've never heard more whining. How about a little positive input guys? It's either too slow, too busy, too many newbies, etc. , etc.

ART, keep up your good efforts. There are hundreds out here who, while not so vocal, appreciate everything you guys are trying to do.

Jacob,
    Like to say something positive so here goes. Nice looking site! Glad to see everything updated.

The others are right about this being rather slow compared to the egroups, when we get it sent automaticly via email. Would be nice if that (email) could be added as an option.

Nice start though !

Craig

Max.... your a spoil sport OK OK, I'll say something positive.
    The Chears for the gree door!

Ok.. now back to buisness. I noticed a "digest" option.. it looks like it will send out an email of all the new replys... I'm trying to get it to work now. There are a few problems with that... 1. It would defeat the purpose of haveing things posted emediatly , and 2, you can't post through it, but it might be better than nothing to keep tabs on this group.

Caleb

Oh.. ya.. I forgot to even wine about the newbies, the SLOWNESS!! (hint hint) and all the other problems. I guess that's cause it not too terribly bad afterall. We're alll still in buisness.

[This message has been edited by Chieftain (edited 13 August 1999).]