Threaded View

Rendering Clear Glass

I've had very limited luck with the built-in version of Povray for clear glass. I'd like something like this done in Povray:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glasses_800.JPG 
Views:	399 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	7784

Or perhaps http://forum.sketchup.com/attachment...1&d=1152040773 gives a simpler example, although it's a different rendering engine.

I realize that Chief's version is dummed down quite a bit, but...could anyone (Dean???) give some tips in modelling or adjustments that might work better? I've tried making faces double-sided, but I usually build double-walled containers instead. Single-sided faces really don't work. I've tried all the sliders on advanced, but it never seems to look quite like clear glass. Colored glass works much better, but clear glass never really gets that edge definition.

In real glass, looking at a tangent edge provides a visible color shift (darker or lighter, depending on light source) that defines the shape. I've never even come close to that yet!

It may not be possible, but I was hoping someone might have an answer. I've even tried countering the flash/reflection of the glass created through increasing reflection by starting with a black material (didn't work, either).

Hoping it can be done,

John S.