Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutch Hip help please...

Anyone out there have an idea on how to build a dutch hip? I am a building a duplex with a dutch hip around the entire first floor that attaches above the rim joist on the second floor.

Attached is a picture of the duplex. I was able to build the roof over the garage and the second floor. Now I am just trying to figure out how to build the dutch hip.

note there is a porch at the entrance that I would like to build a small hip roof on as well.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Ryezak

Vancouver Island canada
    Attached Files Attached Files

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Yeah I read through that article but found it quite complicated. I am new to CA as you probably have noticed. The example in that link is a little different that the one on my duplex. I will need to manually make a roof over a porch? not sure how to approach this. then join the dutch hip to the front of the building roof over the garage.

any tips would be appreciated.

Better pictures would help.I have no idea what your trying to get from the one you have..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

A Dutch hip is also known as a clipped gable. The hip roof return has a high fascia on the gable end.

If you aren't too adept with manual roof work...try an auto build on the roof. All of Chief's roof lines will be hipped by default.

Drag one of the hipped sections over the desired gable end....and then pull the fascia inwards.... towards the building. Lastly...use the "join roof tool" to *snap* the hips back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dutch hip.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	7630  

I never tried one before,not to hard .Keep the ridge heights the same.The trim is a little funky,used polysolids to fix..Maybe slaps would be better..
    Still not sure what Ryezak is looking for with the porch.

Name:	hip.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	7632  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

It's quite easy to generate that sort of roof ("Dutch Hip" or "clipped gable") automatically.

Specify the wall as Full Gable.
    Check Upper Pitch and put a value in the Starts at height or In From Baseline - they are interelated.
    Auto build the roof.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

what VHampton shows I have always known only as a clipped hip..I this is what I have always called a dutch hip...

Attachment 7635

generate the hip roof...add the short gables in the attic, set to 'roof cuts wall at bottom' (tip: it is easier if you generate a new blank floor level for the attic...then move your roof planes up there for adding the short gables and for editing the roof planes), ...break an edge on the plane running up to the gable, drag it parallel to the gable...break the edge on a roof sections that will go over the gable, drag it out over the wall..repeat for the other side
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:17 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

See Video #510 entitled "Building a Half Hip roof". The video describes the method referred to by Glenn. You use a cross-section view to dimension and determine the height where you want the upper hip to start.

There are many names used for such a roof. I call the smaller hip on a gable roof - a "Clipped Gable".

A Dutch Hip is what Tim has described and Allen has given the url for the Chief help database step by step instructions. http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...?faqNumber=749
    Last edited by George Godwin; 08-01-2006 at 04:50 AM.
    ggodwin

Either way.Not sure he got his answer yet..

Name:	dh.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	7637  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Silly question...

The attached thumbnails never seem to show up for me. Is there a setting that needs to be turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by VHampton
    Silly question...
    The attached thumbnails never seem to show up for me. Is there a setting that needs to be turned on?
    Try Tools...Internet Options...Advanced.
    Scroll down to Multimedia and uncheck "Show image download placeholders" and check "Show pictures".
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glenn,

I use Firefox.... which has a different privacy settting...but I'm sure I'll figure this out. (I knew all the Chieftalk options were correct.)

Much appreciated.

preferences>privacy>images

there are also extensions you can install that will allow you to customize menus/toolbars and have this setting handy (as well as ones to turn off flash, java, popups, add tabs,etc)
    Tim O'Donnell

VHampton...there is also a setting on your CP profile for the board that enables images

click 'user cp' on the upper left. then in settings & options>edit options, scroll to 'thread display options'...there is a box there to show attached images
    Tim O'Donnell