robbc is offline Registered User Promoted

Backclip at 1" and canot be changed

I encountered another strange anomly this morning. I have a saved elevation view with a number of CAD lines/dimensions on it. Worked fine last night. This morning I moved the camera back to see the terrain and adjust some blocks on it and suddenly no blocks. I discouvered the backclip had become 1 and could not be changed. Moving the camera within an inch causes the display to work but I never had the clip set this low and really want it higher.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backclip-at-1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	7567  

Delete it and try again?
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design
    Chief Architect v. 10.08a...X1 will have to wait.

That is the default setting for a backclipped camera. Are you sure you used an elevation camera?
    Last edited by louis; 07-29-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Louis: Yes it was a backclipped camera. But I did not have it set to an inch!

jamon51: Yes, that would work... The problem is I realy woudl like to know what happened so I could avoid it in the future. This one elevation had 8 CAD dimension lines and 10 CAD vertical lines all properly placed. Having to redo elevation dimensions because of a program glitch is very annoying! Actually have to manually dimension elevations with cad lines is annoying!

Your dimensions and lines should be there. Without seeing exactly what you did it's hard to say.

Mystery solved!

I will chaulk this one up to learning curve. The following is step by step how this problem happened, and how I created. Please note it was written tongue firmly in cheek but is accurate!

1. Create a backclipped camera view
    2. Save the view
    3. Close the drawing, sleep, open drawing. Or any other activity that causes the camera view to close and you to forget the details!
    4. From plan view move the camera to make some visual room to work on details. Note that some camers are green and others grey, ponder this then ignore it for now.
    5. Render that saved camera view and see that some things are no longer present.
    6. Close the render. I tend to close renders that are wrong due to CA window limits and my own desire to keep things a tad managable.
    7. Edit camera properties, note backclipping is grayed out and cannot be edietd.
    8. Search forums, search help, search videos, find no answer. Post new messages in forum .....
    9. Decide to investigate the grey/green camera thing.
    10. Discover that grey cameras have active views while green have do not have a current render window!
    11. Discover that green camers cannot have their backclipped settings changed via the dialog.
    12. Activate view for this camera, go to plan view and edit camera backclip setting. Guess at the value or use dimension lines since there is no backclip GUI control for the camera (I believe there should be one).
    13. Write a nice involed post for all the nice people.
    14. Go get lunch and buy a new video card to console oneself.

15. Tell all the nice people thanks for helping me today!

15. GADS, forget to thank the nice people
    16. Thanks everyone!