Using Sketchup Components In Chief Symbols

Has anyone figured out how to use components in your sketchup work and get them to show up in your Chief symbols?

When I use components or groups they don't show up when they are imported as a symbol. I have to "explode them" which dramatically increases the size of the file and causes a big slowdown.

I'd appreciate any guidance. I've been messing with it for a few hours now.

Jimerd,
    With CA10 you will have to explode your SketchUP drawing before exporting in preparation for import to chief.

Also, if you do not consistently draw your SketchUP items in a manner to create a surface normal you will be forced to make faces double-sided on Chief import. However, trying to keep faces normal is difficult especially when you start using the push-pull, extrude etc tools in SU. See CA10 reference manual pg 860 for discussion of surface normals.

A suggestion: Save you SU file in the manner you desire (components, groups, hidden items, etc), then Save As xxxxCA10.skp with an explode. That way, you have the SU symbol preserved for additional modifications.

A suggestion: If you have an "exploded" SU file size that is too big to import (>32,000 faces/edges), then break up the symbol in SU in to groups; hide the groups you don't want to export; explode the groups you do want to export and bring the symbol in to Chief in pieces; then combine together. A little of a pain, but it works.

The symbol wizard issue of face orientation, solid geometry, and other standard 3D model specifications has been addressed by this forum for years.
    Hopefully, CA11's symbol wizard will resolve these issues.
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.