Thread: Modify Symbol

Modify Symbol

I need to insert one half of a column (from library or similar), against an outside wall.

I was trying to modify the library symbol, but the Symbol specification tab, which appears after clicking on Open symbol icon, is not the same as in the manual. There is nothing to allow me to slice it in half diagonally.

Obviously I am missing something between reading the manual and my mouse clicks.

I shall appreciate any suggestions.
    Thank you,

Alan Blozis
    Alan Blozis
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ablozis@comcast.net
    v10.8

Quote Originally Posted by alanblozis
    I need to insert one half of a column (from library or similar), against an outside wall.

I was trying to modify the library symbol, but the Symbol specification tab, which appears after clicking on Open symbol icon, is not the same as in the manual. There is nothing to allow me to slice it in half diagonally.

Obviously I am missing something between reading the manual and my mouse clicks.

I shall appreciate any suggestions.
    Thank you,

Alan Blozis
    Alan:

You can change materials and some other properties of 3D symbols but you can not edit them in Chief. They are created using dwg or dxf files, the file types that can be opened by AutoCAD and some other 3D CAD programs such as TurboCAD. If you have one of these programs you can insert the symbol in a new Chief plan, open a 3D view and export a 3D dwg file. Modfy that in whatever program you have and use that to create the new symbol.

If you don't have one of those programs then, depending on exactly what you need, you probably can create it with a combination of polyline slabs and/or solids perhaps with custom moldings applied to molding lines or polylines. Once you have what you need you can export that to a 3D dwg or dxf file and create a symol using those exported files.

If you can post an image of what you want to modify and perhaps someone can provide more specific assistance.
    Last edited by Larry Kumpost; 07-07-2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Thank you, that answers my question. I did not know that one has to use another program to modify Chief Symbols. I am going to try that approach.

Thanx again,

Alan
    Alan Blozis
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ablozis@comcast.net
    v10.8

Quote Originally Posted by alanblozis
    Thank you, that answers my question. I did not know that one has to use another program to modify Chief Symbols. I am going to try that approach.

Thanx again,

Alan
    Happy to help. Since you are just starting I suggest you use layer names in the dwg/dxf files that match the type of material you want to apply. Makes life a bit easier when you create the Symbol.

Have fun.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

I shall do that.
    Thank You

Alan
    Alan Blozis
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ablozis@comcast.net
    v10.8

Squash it!

There are many ways of achieving this within Chief, here is the easiest.

Place a column from the library on a new plan. Click on the object, then click on the [COLOR=red]open symbol[/COLOR] icon. click on the sizing tab.
    Check two stretch planes at (XZ plane at Y) and enter values first Minus- half the depth of the object, and second a value of zero. don't forget to check stretch zones depth 1-2.
    Go back to your object in plan view, double click to open the "[COLOR=red]object [/COLOR][COLOR=red]dialog box[/COLOR]", change the depth on the object to half (or the positive value of the negative number you entered on the previous step). Check the 3d view you should have a half-column.
    Although not absolutely necessary you could export from the 3d view, then re-import, this will "fix the object, and produce a proper looking plan view.
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 07-08-2006 at 04:30 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Place a column from the library on a new plan. Click on the object, then click on the open symbol icon. click on the sizing tab......

Alan
    Alan Blozis
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ablozis@comcast.net
    v10.8

Thanks Jeff. Now that's a very worthwhile tip. I think it would be good to start a new thread in this forum with the heading Tip-Making a Half Column. Maybe it will be easier for the search. I will go ahead and create this and if you have any objections, I will delete the thread. Thanks again.
    Last edited by ambrozac; 07-08-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Jeff, Thanks for the lesson
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.