Dormer Challenge

I have created a second floor with 66" high walls on which I built a 12 pitch gable roof. I then raised the ceiling to 8' to create a second floor with clipped ceilings. I then added floating dormers flush to the exterior wall hoping to have the window and dormer default to my ceiling height. What I got was full sized dormers with windows above the main roof. From inside windows are half in the roof and half in the attic. I exploded the dormer and lowered the window top to fix that and now I would like to lower the dormer walls and roof to appropriate height.

How do I lower the dormer walls and roof? Also, how do I remove the section of the main roof that remains in front of the window - the eave overhang?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pete's barn plan 1_p.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	7202  

As for your second question, I think that should be relatively easy - just use the break polyline tool to break the roof polyline just below the dormer and then pull it back to create the gap. If you have the training CDs, I think there's a video on this - it's essentially the same technique used to manually deal with alcoves.

As for your first question, if I understand what you're trying to do, I would do it manually instead of using the dormer tools. I know most users use the dormer tools and you could make them work but I prefer to do it manually - you have greater control and the process gives you a very good education on CA's roof tools.

Hope this helps.

Once exploded, dormer tools no longer apply so manual lowering of the dormer roof planes will lower the walls. Before dormers are exploded they have a "ceiling" setting but once exploded you are back to version 9 mode where such modifications are purely manual.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Thank you

Thank you both for your assistance.