Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Signage

3D Signage

OK, I've searched and I cannot find the answer. How do I get an address sign to show up on a rendering? I have tried text in CAD, but I want to be able to get a shadow from the letters. I am thinking a pinned off steel look. Any ideas?

There are letters and numbers in the "Library Browser" or you can use 3-D molding poly-lines and poly-line solids. The stock letters/numbers would be easier.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

There are 3D numbers and letters in the library. Geometric Shapes>3D Text (ver 10)

You could use these along with polysolids to put a 3D sign together.

HTH.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

There are 3d letters in the library. Also check this.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....light=3d+signs
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

See how easy that was? Thanks!

Who needs letters , when you can have fonts

Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 06-13-2006 at 10:10 PM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Very cool Jeff
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

You can also "carve" or "chisel" it.

Elephont with 'Intersect with Model' in SketchUP then import to Chief as Symbol.
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

3d FONT

Jeff,

That picture with the "Bend it Like Beckham" 3d font is fantastic. Exactly what I came here to learn about this evening. Forgive me if I missed a post but what all is involved with creating that effect? What softwares do I need and what all is involved. I am hoping for a mini tutorial if that is possible. I would like to hang a 3d sign in a space that I am building and that is exactly what I needed to see. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mr Bendy is back.

This is the old "Bend-it" technique. When you import a Dxf/dwg 3d object into Chief, you may import it, (strange as it sounds) as a [COLOR=red]window. [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Now if you import and place on a curved wall you will end up with a curved "window".[/COLOR]
    The signage is made from the Elefont utility.
    Mod: Make your sign line by line, save each line as a DXF file.
    Import each "line model" to a new plan, drag into the required orientation, export from view and save your sign as a DXF.
    Draw a D shaped room, now Import your sign as a window. The "window" should be centered, and via its dialog box, under options select Radial and curved. You should now have your curved sign. note that the thickness of the sign is controlled by the thickness of the wall and you may have to modify this.
    You must now eliminate the room from your view, via the "display options dialog box", or by using the delete surface tool.
    Export the isolated sign as a DXF. Voila.
    On my illustration I imported the finished sign[COLOR="Magenta"](as an exterior fixture)[/COLOR]and onto the D shaped room with that fake window now removed

Now does everyone know who Beckham is?
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Awesome Tip - Thanks

Thanks so much for the help with this. I haven't gotten it totally down yet but I'll try to post a pic when I do.

if not they can view the movie by that name. great flick.

Kevin:

Thanks, now I know who Beckham is. Not being a fan I never heard of him before.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hang your head in shame Lew
    David Beckham is England's home bred football Superstar/National hero/Marketing machine, somewher between Mother Terasa and Winston Churchill. He is one of the best midfielders of all time, with an almost uncanny ability to place the long ball precisely in the right place, for others to score with. but he is most famous for his power/free kicks, with his ability to generate accurate bending shots that can fool the best goal keeper, its a bit like watching a cannonball behave as a cruise missile. David Beckham is a household name in Europe, Asia, Oceania, Africa. South and Central America, and the North and South poles

Ah, but not in America

I'm not a sports fan, so I don't even know most of the US stars unless they make headlines outside of the sports pages.

I agree that the US is too isolated in our world view, in sports, culture, politics, etc.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)